1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom B3 or G5?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mkfanforever58, Apr 17, 2015.

1. mkfanforever58

mkfanforever58

Oct 3, 2014
    Originally, I was thinking of getting an M13 but it sounds like people prefer the Zoom models. The B3 sounds okay but I would like to have the option of having about 4 effects at the same time. The G5 appeals more me than the b3. Can the g5 do everything the b3 can or should I just get an M13 (or other suggestions)?

2. The G5 cannot do all the same things as the B3. They are guitar and bass specific in their amp options. That doesn't mean that the G5 won't work on bass, but it won't be optimal. The m13 is also a separate beast that does certain things better for guitar or bass. The m13 is also considerably larger.

I've owned an m13 and m9 for a few years and I really like them for a lot of things. I just got a B3 last week and I really like it too, regret not buyin one sooner. No experience with the G5.

If you really need 4 effects at once I would suggest splitting the difference and getting a B3 and supplementing it with a Line6 M5. Or get an M9 and suppliement it with an MS60B. This will give you the good tones of each company, and should still cost less and be smaller than the M13.

mkfanforever58 likes this.
  3. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Resurrecting an old thread as it asks my very question. I am building a small travel board to go to school for 6 weeks and was looking to Zoom for di, cabsim, EQ, etc. The B3 is obviously a classic choice and would probably meet my needs, but the G5 has more functionality (and costs less). Is it bass friendly enough (especially the cabsim, I could care less about its distortions) or should I stick with the B3?

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    a Zombie thread, huh...haven't seen these in a long time. whenever I see these, I post this song.

As for the debate, the zoom b3 would be a good choice. but since zoom has a new multi-effects processor, check out the zoom b3n. I plan to get one myself sometime soon.

Being and Bass likes this.
  5. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Normally I would create a new thread but TB seems to really love people searching these topics instead of making new ones.

And I think you are probably right to stick the the Bass models. I would LOVE the B3N but the lack of a DI and USB recording is a dealbreaker for me (which sucks, because it is a better unit in almost every other way).

But that song made up for it. My past rose from the ground to eat my teenage brains!

Crystalman85 likes this.
  6. John Swartz

John Swartz

Apr 9, 2008
    Search this forum - there are some threads on the B3/B3n/G5 that may give you some useful information. At least one TB'er regularly uses a G5 for his live rig (@jimfist).

Being and Bass and jimfist like this.
  7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Yeah true. the zoom b3n may have lack an xlr output and a usb connection, but the effects do make up for it. I would admit that the zoom b3n is missing some of my favorite amp and cab models was sort of a deal breaker for me, but then I was thinking that If I use a distortion model along with one of the cab models, that would actually make up for having a sound that can be useful for recording.

As for the song zombie nation, I oftenly use that song for whenever I see a zombie thread on talkbass. it's sort of a personal theme song for zombie thread because when I see members here saying zombie thread, I instantly think of the song zombie nation.

Being and Bass likes this.