1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom B3 or MS60B to replace Boss SYB-5

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by goran, Oct 15, 2013.

1. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    The plan is to retire two of my old & trusty Boss SYB-5. I listened to some Zoom B3 synth examples and I like what I hear.

Do the synths in BS and MS60B sound the same? How's the tracking? SYB-5 doesn't track particularly well, but the clean technique helps.

What synth parameter(s) can the expression pedal control on B3?

Thanks!

2. .
    I have one of each and can confirm that yes, the effects are the same.

I use mine mainly for amp and cab sims, so i can't be of much help with your tracking question.

One thing that has been pointed out to me (thanks Kerry) is that the Octaver doesn't track very well, but you can get the same effect using the Pitch Shifter, which tracks a hell of a lot better.

3. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Thank you! Well, I don't plan to use it as a standalone - I'm interested only in synths.

4. The synths track ok. Better than the SYB-5 I had but there is still room for improvement. If you roll your tone off(on your bass)and use the neck pu the synths track a lot better.

5. Zoom B2 is the bomb for creating synth sounds, just saytin it again and again and again......

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The synth stuff is nothing special but it has most of if not all of the same style sounds as the SYB-5. I have not spent much time with the B3, especially not in the synths but the tracking is leaps and bounds better than the SYB-5. I have owned both and gigged the SYB-5, so I am quite familiar with it. I do not know the first thing about the MS60B.

7. No worries, Greg... The B2 has the same issue. strange, I know.

Seriously?... I've never had a lot of success with my B2.1u's (I have 2 + a B3) in this regard. Would love to try some of your patchwork.

8. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have a bunch of synth sound demos and patches shared on my Zoom B3 site (check my signature below). Some of them sound pretty good IMO, and most of them play fairly easily. Obviously any of the pitch and synth effects in the Zoom B3 are monophonic. You need to play cleanly without a lot of buzzing and warble in your bass tone. And most monophonic tracking effects don't deal well with very quick playing, or octave jumps.

In short, a lot of it is all about your playing technique, not the effect itself. I have a Roland GR-55 I struggled with 2 years ago. But now can trigger it very well. Fast forward 2 years of playing experience and I can now trigger it fairly pretty with clean fingerstyle playing.

9. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Hi Gastric! Your clips are the reason why I'm considering Zoom B3. I'm aware that synths are monophonic - SYB5 is too, but that didn't stop me from using it for the last 5 years. I can live with that, as long as sounds are usable.

10. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I think the Zoom B3 would be totally useable. A couple of the patches I published are a little glitchy for whatever reason (stacking too many pitch-tracking fx). They'd sound even better if the B3 had more than 3 fx slots so you could add in more modulation then some delay and verb. To that end you could easily stick a separate octave pedal in front of the B3 for use with the synth patches. As a bonus you'd then have the ability to blend in that effect into the overall signal chain for an added dimension / voice to layer into the sound.

I never personally experimented with external expression control so I cannot comment on that. But my recollection is that it's fairly limited / constrained and not as totally free as Boss / Roland assigns, for example.