Zoom B3 - Tuner bypass using control button

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dan Neilsen, May 19, 2017.

1. Dan Neilsen

Dan Neilsen

Apr 23, 2017
    Hey guys,

I have done a few searches but I could not find an answer to my question.
    I have a control button that I have connected to my Zoom B3.

In my patch I have it set up so that on the Ctrl SW page it is on Bypass / Mute and when I press the control button the B3 will go into tuner mode and mute after about a second.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make this a bypass button without the mute. Im fine with the tuner screen but I dont want the B3 to mute, just to completely bypass.

2. Dan Neilsen

Dan Neilsen

Apr 23, 2017
    Bump. Anyone have any advice?

3. I don't think there is a way to keep it from going to mute if you press and hold. You can press and release to bypass and activate.

4. Dan Neilsen

Dan Neilsen

Apr 23, 2017
    Not sure what you mean brad.
    I am just tapping the pedal once and it goes to tuner and mutes after about a second.
    I'm not holding the button down

5. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Been awhile since I had one, but can you get into the tuner settings and set it to bypass rather than mute?

EDIT: OOOHHHHHHHHH - I think the problem might be that the footswitch is latching rather than momentary....

VonSledgehammer and bassbrad like this.
  6. I think @moles has the answer.

7. Dan Neilsen

Dan Neilsen

Apr 23, 2017
    Hmmm you might be correct. I cant remember to be honest.
    ill go and research that now

8. Dan Neilsen

Dan Neilsen

Apr 23, 2017
  9. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hmmm - that description also opens another possibility - it seems that it's momentary but "normally open", maybe the Zoom needs "normally closed"?

10. Dan Neilsen

Dan Neilsen

Apr 23, 2017
    Maybe. Ill ask around some mates and see if they have some alternate ones I can plug in and try to see if it makes a difference.
    The strange thing is, it works fine for tap tempo and seems to work fine for this feature too. Its almost like the zoom brain is telling it that if the external button is pressed that it MUST go to mute?

Can anyone out there confirm that they can use an external controller to go to bypass mode without muting?

11. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    This is how my logic is working here....

Tap tempo will work either way, because every time you step on it, the unit is seeing a succesion of changes of state, and will take every second one as an input signal. So whether you're sending 0-1-0-1-0-1 or 1-0-1-0-1-0 it's going to 'read' every second state, whichever one it needs, and extrapolate a tempo from it.... and that should all be peachy because usually we step on and off in roughly rhythmicaly similar ways....

If the unit wants to see "normaly closed" for the tuner though, and it's starts with open... what's (maybe) going to happen is it ignores the initial OPEN state, AND ignores the CLOSED state when you engage the switch, but then reads the final OPEN state (when you lift your foot off) as engaging the tuner....and then of course because the switch remains open, it reads that as a HOLD and mutes the devices output.

Anyway - just my Reasoning Brain trying to Reason as well as it Reasonably can today, after the unreasonable week I've had :p

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022