1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom B3: Using tap tempo and expression pedal simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_lord_mutha, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Apologies beforehand if there's already a thread for this topic, please share any threads pertaining to this that I may have overlooked hehe.

Is there any way to use a pedal for tap tempo such as for delay pedal patches at the same time as using an expression pedal for use with wah/pitch shift patches? I love my B3 and have been using it a lot over the years but this is the one feature I wish were available on this pedal.

2. I think there is a mod you can do for tap tempo. Somebody here has done it.

bass_lord_mutha likes this.
  3. I have been wondering the same thing myself.

bass_lord_mutha likes this.
  4. I'm going to build a sort of TS/TRS to TRS adapter (modified dual TS to single TRS adapter) since the footswitch operates on TS and the expression pedal operates on TRS. If that doesn't work, I'll make a modified A/B box and see if that works.

5. frohner151

frohner151 Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Wondering if the modified y adapter worked out for you.

6. Unfortunately no lol. When I have more free time I'm going to try to do the A/B box idea. I'm thinking the problem has to do with the fact that both the footswitch and the expression pedal occupy the tip section of the connection at the same time. The tap tempo will work but the expression pedal won't.

7. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Aug 3, 2012
    No mode to anything mate,only on the Y adapter.Click that link and you can see that is work Capture_zpsrti7ste2.

The only limitation is that you must have the expression pedal all the way down when you work on the tap tempo.

8. Ahh ok I overlooked that link. Thanks :)

9. Ok, this mod must only work on the G3 because it doesn't work at all on the B3 and I followed the instructions to a T lol. Matter of fact, the switch wouldn't work unless the pedal was in toe-up position and you can actually use the pedal all the way up and down to set tempo also. So that idea is nixed for a second time. Looks like my only option without modding the unit will be the modified A/B switch...

10. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Aug 3, 2012
    Hmm...weird because it works with my B3 and my pedals.And from technical aspect i don't see a reason not to. I use a Behringer FCV100 expression pedal and a Roland foot switch.My Y adaptor is a generic cheap one.The A/B switch is gonna work for sure,but the cost is higher and they not gonna work the same time together.Good luck my friend!

Edit: I have a Boss AB-2 2 way selelector switch.I am gonna try it right now.I think the fact that the switch is only TS in/out,is gonna be a problem.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  11. I use the Zoom FP02M and will be getting the FS01 switch but for now I'm using A Yamaha FC5 footswitch. As per the mod, I made sure that the RING lead was disconnected on the mono side for the switch.

Also, a standard A/B switch won't work, as the inputs and outputs are all mono, which is why I'd have to build or modify one to have the switch toggle between the mono and stereo sides.

And I don't need both pedals to operate simultaneously, just need to be able to toggle over to tap tempo my delay then toggle back to operate my wah or pitch shift (depending on what patch bank I'm using).

12. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Aug 3, 2012
    With my A/B pedal
    Yes i understand,this is the reason i made that mode to my B3.I just test the TS mono A/B thing,and ufc the test failed.The TRS A/B is the only way then,but that is the same like the Y adaptor.Good luck again.

13. This is the setup at the moment. I used a modified stereo Y-cable instead of an adapter, but each signal path is the same.

Snapchat-1104260978230844740.

14. My thinking is that the modified A/B switch would work because it would toggle between the two signal paths instead of having them both being read by the CONTROL IN jack, I believe that's what the problem might be, since both paths are present to influence the operation of the other.

15. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Aug 3, 2012
    I just try my Y adapter on my Zoom G5 and it works.This maybe got to do with the pedals/switchers we are using.Something with the polarity of the cables.Can you try to convert the signals from them?Try it with your custom Y cable first.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  16. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Aug 3, 2012
    100% the custom TS/TRS A/B box is gonna work,no question about it!!

17. Did that too, even switched the T and R connections at the jack, still nothing. I did notice that with the footswitch disconnected, the expression pedal works just fine. However with the pedal disconnected, the switch basically acted as a full-off/full-on for the wah or pitch shift effect lol.

18. Man I hope so lol. We shall see.