1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zoom B3 with upright!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by krfoss, Sep 3, 2017.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I somehow tricked the church guys into letting me play my upright this morning. Plugging into the system, my bass with Zyex medium had a terrible high end zingy sound with almost no reasonable low end (going through an Aguilar TH 500 and 1x12 cab.. into a giant PA system). It sounded awful no matter what I or the sound tech did.

Knowing this first time with the upright could have been my last, I got to church 30 minutes early with my B3 to figure out an EQ setting that would thicken the sound, boost low end, and kill the zingyness. I want to play upright again at church, so I really needed my bass to sound great, fit into the mix, and sound like a silky sexy upright.

For those who use the B3, I used the AC Bs Pre into the Exciter while backing off the highs on both. Each independently didnt do the trick. It did exactly what I wanted, and it sounded great.

I couldnt find any posts with recommendations for B3 with upright, so I'm starting one.

Mrlen613, madbanjoman and MrLenny1 like this.
  2. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I don't have the b3 but I do have the ms100bt which has many of the same bass effects. I ran my DB today with the 7 band graphic EQ into the AC Bs Pre and then into the 2 band parametric eq. I use the parametric eq as a very narrow notch filter. I use the Ac Bs Pre mainly for the depth control which is a high pass/low cut filter. I cut one band of low mids on the graphic EQ. I run a MSP body piezo pickup and a K&K golden bullet mic into the zoom ms100bt into a PJB double four combo. I was pretty happy with my sound today. I play in a trio that is outside for most of our gigs. The conditions are ever changing and I like the surgical nature I can get with multiple EQs I get from the ms100bt. Feedback with is ever a concern with a mic and being able to notch the offending frequencies is a must.

krfoss likes this.
  3. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Which do you cut, and how did you figure that was the band to cut?

4. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I cut 500hz today. I have the notch set to 200hz and 1.2khz. My problem when I am on the street is the crowd eats the mids and highs and all I get is the lows. How I choose is basically trial and error. I focus on the low end when I am trying to figure out what to cut, 400 and 800 are good candidates too. If the graphic EQ doesn't do the trick the AC Bs Pre has a semi parametric EQ that has a range of frequencies to choose from. I have had success with that as well.

5. If you plugged directly onto the board, the probability is high that the input impedance is much too low for a (passive) piezo pickup (which I assume you use on your upright).
    That would result in weak lows and heavy mids and highs.
    A ZOOM B3 has a 1 MegOhms impedance (if it is he same as my B2.1) that would at least work reasonably well with most passive piezo pickups, even without any EQ changes.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  6. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh

I have a MSP pickup which is piezo and a K&K golden bullet mic. they both feed into a K&K trinity preamp then to the Zoom ms100bt and then the pjb double four amp. I have no PA support. The same setup will sound perfectly balanced in my music room, but completely different on the sidewalk.

7. I was responding to yhe OP krfoss, not you madbanjoman.
    He didn't mention what kind of pickup he uses.

Playing outside weakens the low frequencies, since there are no reflections and the lows are less directed than mids and highs.
    But in a church, specially with hard naked walls, this is not the case. You won't hear yourself well if playing acoustically only, because the directed mids and highs go out into the room. But this is not the case with the OP.

8. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I use a Full Circle. Prior to using the B3, it was plugged into the amp, which was run directly to the board from there.

9. If a DI box was used in front of the amp, the low impedance of the DI box may have caused this. It would be better to use a DI out of an amp. Passive DI boxes have a very low input impedance. And since the amps input impedance an the DI box input impedance work in parallel the impedance for the piezo drops even lower than the lowest of both. That can even happen with active DI boxes, since even if they may have a 1 MegOhms (which is on the high side for a DI box), together with a 1 MegOhms amp input impedance the resulting impedance is half of it, 500 KOhms.

The Full Circle can give a strange sound in some orientations of the adjuster wheel. Try turning the wheel a bit but not more than a quarter turn to get a better sound from the pickup. If the contact area of the bridge to the pickup adjuster is not absolutely plan and perpendicular to the adjuster axis, the sound coming from the pickup can be rather bad too.

10. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Hey DoubleMIDI,

I adjusted the wheels, which helped slightly after the first rehearsal. The amp was set into passive mode, so it didnt cut DB. I dont know what happened to the feed after it came directly out of the amp, but it sounded exactly the same come out of the PA as it did from the amp.

11. Seems to be a pickup or amp problem, since 1 MegOhms input impedance should get you a working sound (a bit higher around 5 MegOhms might be still a bit better, but nothing to worry about).
    Check another amp with 1 MegOhms input impedance with your bass and your Full Circle. If the sound is still problematic, the Full Circle might have been damaged by long term pressure or by an impact on the bridge.

12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Years ago I heard a DB plugged into a wah wah pedal and distortion pedal
    being played arco. Wild. Sounded like a mad elephant at times.

13. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I've read this entire thread and still don't know what a Zoom B3 is. Is it a recorder, like the other Zoom references I've read on TalkBass; is it an organ, like "Hammond B3?" I suspect it is some kind of pre-amp; but then one of the posts talks about plugging the Zoom B3 into a pre-amp. I'm interested, please tell me what it is, and sorry for my lack of knowledge.

14. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
  15. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    krfoss likes this.
  16. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    I'm using a Zoom B3 (new model) into a Fender Rumble 500 combo, full circle pickup. Best sound I have ever had live. I use the EQ to cut 60hz and below and pretty much set the amp flat. I use a little delay for arco and it sounds great. Many compliments from band mates.

Mnjoe likes this.
  17. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Are you using the 7 band eq, or the fishman clone with the hpf?

18. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    7 band EQ, but I will try the Fishman clone, thanks.

19. Mrlen613

Mrlen613 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Clinton,NJ
    I just picked up a used B3 and have been experimenting with it. I'm using a Rev Solo into a HPF-Pre to the B3 going into a GK MB500. Getting some pretty interesting stuff both pizz and arco but I'm also impressed by the subtle changes you can make with it to tweak your live sound. I'll post a patch here if I think it may be worth a try.

There's a couple other threads with B3 patches and I'm going to see how some of those sound as well.

Groove Doctor and krfoss like this.
  20. @maxgroover uses a Zoom B3 for DB live. What settings do you use Matt?