1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zoom B3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by copieter, Aug 27, 2012.

1. copieter

copieter

Aug 26, 2012
    Hey i think i will buy a Zoom B3 effect pedal but i don't know if it is a good pedal so what are you thinking of that effect? :)

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I think there are several threads on this topic. If you search you will find many pages about the B3.

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The zoom b3 is indeed a great sounding multi-effects processor. it has a large variety of effects, amp and cab models. it also has tube-emulation technology which makes all amp models as well as all effects more authentic sounding. I'm planning on getting one myself. I'm really intrigued on what the zoom b3 has to offer. I will be buying one real soon.

4. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    AFAIR:

Pros:
    - many of the effects sound good; some are very good.
    - price
    - the 'it's 3 stompboxes' concept is fun.

Cons:
    - can't route the effects in any other way than all 3 in series (IMO this is really stupid)
    - can't use the onboard footswitches as parameter controller switches in any mode
    - can't use an external footwitch and an external expression pedal at the same time
    - any tweaks you make are automatically saved to the patch - you always lose what was saved there before.

personally I'm waiting for the multi-fx that's more usable than discrete stomps. This was't it, which is sad, because with slightly better software, it would have been

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    You get more with the Zoom B2.1u Bass Multi-Effects Pedal for little bit lower price. And a whole lot more with the B9.1ut for about $100 more. The B3 is a big disapointment to me and overpriced for what it does and doesnt do.

daltontomlinson likes this.
  6. .
    I'm fairly new to multi-effects, are parallel effects chains common? Series seems the way to go to me.
    I can't see any need to run 'em parallel. :confused:

(Respectfully) You do know that you can change the order around to whatever you like, don't you topo?
    ie. they don't have to stay in the same order.

This reply is aimed very much at educating myself btw!

Greg

7. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Yes - so if you have drive > delay > amp and you want to swap the amp and delay, you don't have to mess around changing the amp to a delay and vice versa, and dialing in each one again... it is at least handy that you can do that.

possibly not that common, apart from at the basic level of providing a clean blend (which, to its credit, the B3 does on most, if not all, the effects individually).

My disappointment was that as you can change the order, why not allow some parallel routings too? Parallel effects chains require extra boxes and wiring to set up with analogue pedals, but with a DSP system it's straightforward.

Parallel chains are great for bass - the abiliity to play two sounds at once works well in a lot of modern styles, while the ability to split and process your HF seperately is great for distorted sounds.

I'm being a bit harsh on the B3 on this point - It's a cheapo unit, not a studio processor. The thing about always remembering your edits and throwing away what was there before is much more serious, IMO - it takes away half the advantage of having digital gear! Maybe someone can tell me I'm wrong about this?

Just frustrating when a bit of digtal gear seems to have its wings clipped - but one person's 'limited' is probably another person's 'easy to use'...

8. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    The it's 3 stompboxes concept may be upgraded to up to 6 through software update like the G3, (software update is not yet available)

You can use external footswitch and external expression pedal through ashbass mod

http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/Zoom/

9. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr

Sounds great! (although will make it all the more sad if you can't go beyond straight series routing)

From another site: "One thing I know some people will be happy about is they've also added the option to turn off the auto-saving of preset changes." This would almost be enough to make me want one again...

10. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Haha personally It doesn't make a diff, i always set up my FX in series , i haven't see a reason why i will go for parallel other than using a clean blend for dirt pedal. I do agree though they should allow a seperate switch for tap tempo and exp pedal. The patch select mod doesn't bother me too much as i will be putting my zoom b3 in the patch select screeen. The biggest strength of the multifx is selection of different combined FX in the touch of your feet

One more thing dont forget to learn how to use and play the pedal. Learning to play the pedal is a pain though, its like learning how to play with 2 fingers again imo.

11. Parallel allows for more complex sounds, way more than just adding a clean blend.

12. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    such as??:confused::confused:

13. From the "New Zoom B3 has arrived!!!!" thread regarding this:

14. The sounds of running two amps without having to lug that much stuff around.
    Say OD and Fuzz, and you eq the fuzz to work on the highs more and OD on the lows, eqing is what makes this stuff work. You could take the OD and Fuzz in parallel and add a delay in parallel so that you have your "regular" sound and then a delayed part on top maybe totally high passed so it is just floatuing over your Fuzz and OD sound. Substitute any other modulation, chorus, flanger whatever with delay. Sure it is very specific use, but it can be awesome if worked in right.
    Really I am just mainly working on perfecting a BIG sound with OD and Fuzz in parallel but have played with other effects in parallel, a MarkBass SuperSynth to Double a part but not lose the bass. It is really up to your imagination.

I run stuff in series too but parallel is very cool I think.

15. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    To me, a parallel option in a multifx running at least three different effects would be the ultimate feature. So much more than clean blends, it allows for incredibly complex, textured, yet MUSICAL sounds, more than any other method I can think of. And doing it with individual pedals is a real pain- as far as I'm concerned this could be the main purpose of a multi effect unit. If not for the fact that none have it yet.
    It also makes the individual sounds of the effects matter a bit less, again playing to the strengths of a multieffect.

...now that I think of it it even gets around the n00b problem of 'I don't know what order to put my effects in'...

16. Well, the Roland VB-99 does allow parallel signal processing, plus a whole lot more. Super expensive but super awesome.