Zoom BFX-708

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jake_D, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Jake_D

May 10, 2000
    If anyone uses a Zoom BFX-708, could you send me the info on how to put together some cool effects, mainly distortion though.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    All this good stuff is in the manual, but here goes.

You can write over most of the presets. Many of them suck.

Find one that REALLY sucks, and then hit the "Edit" button. Go to the Dist/Comp page and you have a few to choose from, after all the compression and whatnot: Modern Overdrive, Vintage Overdrive, Fuzz, and Thrash. The overdrives are just overdrives, they aren't meant to be used for full-out distortion. Thrash would imply over-the-top distortion, but it's not even that good for g*itar (I've tried). Your best bet is Fuzz, with the Gain level set way up high. You should probably adjust the level, because turning the Gain way up does affect the volume. As for EQ, you'll probably have to add some Low, as the distortion does take a little bit away. Don't automatically cut both mids, though, if you take out the Low Mids, the sound won't be punchy at all. When I started playing I would cut out all the mids and turn the bass and treble up, and wondered why I couldn't hear myself with the band playing... Low Mids=good!

I wouldn't recommend using delay or any kind of reverb (for distortion, anyway) cause all you get is MUD. Leave all that crap to the guitarists, trust me, I'm sure they'll have plenty.

Rename the patch, save it and go nuts.
  3. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    I plan to buy a BFX708. This effects get good reviews from some source. But I hasn't convident enough to get one.
    Any comment about the sound quality ? Is it noisy or not ?
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Sound quality is overall very good for that price range. I enjoy a lot of the effects but some of them you just have to scratch your head and wonder why they're exactly there...

As for noise... well... it DOES have "Zoom Noise Reduction" which is a very good noise gate, cutting out all buzzes and hums when you're not playing. However, depending on what you set your effects at, as soon as you start playing, the buzz is right there in the audible range. You can only hear it when you're playing solo; it can't be heard behind a full band.