Zoom Bfx708

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Drop_D, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Like

20 vote(s)
  2. Dislike

14 vote(s)
  1. I Recently bought zoom bfx708 multi effect processor, i´d like to hear some opinions from you guys about it.
    What do you think of it..
    I like it , it´s very versatile although the quality of the effects aren´t "state of the art" ....
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I didn't vote because I'm ambivalent.

- lots of different effects to play with
    - amp modeling (crude)
    - cheap
    - built-in tuner

- what it does to your tone bypassed (I bought a bypass pedal to go with it)
    - none of the effects are as good as standalones might be
    - built-in tuner isn't that great (5-leds for tuning)

I keep it because we always have one or two songs where I want an effect (Fly Away, Lady Marmalade). I'm more-or-less a set it and forget it kind of guy so I don't want to play with pedals all the time. I think it's a good value for the money and does what I need it to.
  3. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i got it and it sux.

ne1 wanna buy a pedal?
  4. puppet654

puppet654 Guest

Apr 6, 2000
    mine was decent for a while, did what I needed, had some cool effects to mess around with in my band....until the output jack died. Now it's probably going to be another $50 for me to be able to use the sucker again....but other than that it was pretty cool for a low end effects pedal, but I want something a little better, NEbody have any ideas?
  5. I genuinely think it's a cool pedal for practicing, but I'd never use it to play live. I found when you turn up the amp it sounds **** compared to the actual bass tone from my bass (Fender P or Stingray).

I use it to practice all the time and to record 1st time demos of songs for other band members.

It's fairly easy to use and serves it's purpose. I think it's bargain for £100.
  6. i have one, i've had it for quite a while, just after steve lawson reviewed it for bassist (RIP :( )

i think it's a decent pedal, granted it's got some real crappy effects, but thats true for a lot of pedals, i'm not really an effects kinda person, i mainly use it for tuning, which is good if you have a bass that goes outta tune, but my newish 5 doesn't.

i also like the 6 second sampler which i use the lay down a bass line and solo over a section, or overdub it

to be honest with you, i don't often reach for it, but if i had to i would, but thats because i wouldn't be prepared to spend more on another one.

if i need a specific effect i'll get a stand-alone, but until then i'm complacent.

7. Supernate

Sep 3, 2001
    I own one of these thingys and use it on a regular basis. It gets the job done but the way it was built is crappy. The input and output jacks are soldered right to the circut board and break away easily. I've already had to have it fixed once but luckily it was free of charge. If you get one of these and you know how to solder, you could probably fix the problem when it happens.
  8. I'm with you Drop_D, I like it. I had one before it died on me (ok, fine, I dropped it on concrete on accident and now it just buzzes when I turn it on ;) ) anyways, I loved the synths especially synth1. I was getting into the ring modulator and the time travel patch right before i broke it. I will tell you, I used it everyday until it broke. I still would be using it except (besides the obvious reason) i bought a ART Nightbass.
  9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have had one for 2.5 years and have had to fix it twice. I can solder like a MF so this wasn't a problem. I think the effects are ok. This thing is great for practice. Plug some headphones into the output and crank it up. The built in drums are cool to practice with. I gigged with it for 2 years until I bought the V-AMP Pro. I thing the V-AMP is less noisey but I think the effects in the Zoom sound fuller.
  10. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Toy compared to the might Korg AX-1B
  11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    It's okay once you establish some usable patches. 8 of the 16 compressor*distortion modules are trash, the noise reduction gate is terrible, the EQ is passable, half of the the modulation options (chorus, flanger, phaser, etc) are actually pretty good once tweaked, and the reverb / delay module adds some dimensional aspects if run stereo. I agree that, for the money, it gives a "sampler" of several effects. If you find something that fits your playing style, spend a couple of bucks and buy a top-shelf pedal or rackmount component.
  12. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I've never played it but the first thing that turned me away was the ugly looking plastic.
  13. tenbellies

Dec 17, 2003
    Just don't get carried away and jump on it change effect, It makes a great cracking sound if you do!