Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

zoom effects...good or bad?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by goodbetterbass, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Guys...my band here in OZ want me to buy an effects pedal......does anyone recommend the zoom multi effects? We play hard rock in drop D

Was thinking on the 708 but not sure...

gbb

2. not the greatest inventions known to man, but if your wiling ot make a sacrifice in the original tone that you have, then YES, it could be good. but usually you'd want to go analog. the tone'smore true

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd avoid it, unless you want to have fun in your bedroom.
    It's not really a gigable unit.

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

agreed

5. hmmmm...does anyone know much about the DOD one...it looks good. i thought the zoom had it's drawbacks. i would be blending a percentage of the "effect" signal back in to get a subtle effect. My anp has an effects loo[p which is blendable.....trace elliot AH600SMX

hmmmmm :confused:

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    IMHO either will screw up your wonderful trace elliot sound. I'd buy the effects I like individually and use a true bypass pedal.

7. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    IMHO I only recommend Zoom to those who are new to the realm of effects and have no idea what they like. They're are beginners effects at best.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    What effects are you looking for from the Zoom? Answer that question and buy those individually.

9. Welll...i really want just a plain smooth distortion....and low and behold found it during a fiddle pre-rehearsal last week. Dialed in a bit more of the valve into my pre am and scooped some from the mids. It still ahs punch but also has the growl. The band i'm in wanted a growly sound (as did i) and when i found it was like Yeah BABY.
    Now my 2x12 snarls at me and the drummer durning rehearsals. Hope to add the bottom with my 1x18 that i'm in the process of making. I'll post some pictures on the AMPS forum when it is done!

Might still get a flanger or wah at some later date.....until now all the effects i want are in my fingers!

CHris

10. Buggaaaa...forgot the most important part of all in my last message.....

Thanks to all who responded to my post. All of the help was MUCh appreciated :) :) :) :)