1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom H1 hiss?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by G Aichele, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I got a new Zoom H1 for Christmas, to use for myself and for my wife (who plays mandolin) but also for our whole band during practices. I hope it well help us all to hear ourselves from an "objective" position. So far I like the Zoom a lot. It's very easy to set up and to operate, and it records well (in general). However, I've noticed on each of the test recordings that I've made that there is a constant low-level hiss in the background. It doesn't matter whether I use the Zoom's built-in mics, or an external mic, or a line directly from the mixer. So I'm guessing the source is the Zoom itself.

Is this normal on inexpensive, small recorders like this one? Are there any adjustments to the unit that would reduce this hiss? I realize that it can be reduced using DAW software, but I'd rather reduce or eliminate the hiss at the source. I've tried using the "auto input" switch and the low cut filter both on and off -- no obvious differences in either case. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Solved my own problem. Turned off auto recording level, manually turned level down to a more suitable one (the tiny screen on the Zoom doesn't help much with this), and hiss goes away. For me, doing trial recordings from my speaker, a good level is 20.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021