1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zoom H2 files

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I changed my H2 settings so that I can get more time to record. I went from WAV to MP3. Everything went well but when I down loaded the recordings to the computer to edit, I found that the files turned to AIFF. I found this when I tried to mail the songs. Plus its messing with my computer. Any one ever seen this?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I usually record mp3s with mine and never had an issue. Are you using it as mic and creating the files on your computer?

3. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I recorded our rehearsal last night. I set the zoom to record MP3 so I could have more recording time. I down loaded the recordings, which by the way was one continuous hour and fifteen minutes, to my macbook. I've done this before and had no problem. OK. Then I transfered the recording from my Itunes to GarageBand so I could cut the recording up and email them to the rest of the fellas. Some thing went wrong. AIFF files are foreign to me.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    take itunes out of the equation... mount the H2 as a drive and copy the files to your hard drive next time. I dislike itunes because of how invasive it can be. The last I worked with it I felt like I was using real audio again.

But the AIFF files should be fine to use... they are basically Apple's wav format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format

5. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Thanks James

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    How do you record them as MP3's?

I've been recording as WAV's and then converting to MP3's before burning to disk and it takes forever. I'd love to lose that step if I could.

:confused:

:eyebrow:

:bassist:

7. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Go into the Menu and then to REC MODE press the FF or RW keys (<<< or >>>) to get to MP3 settings (at the bottom of the selection options) then press the REC key to select the option ....

Be advised that the MP3 VBR (variable bit rate) is probably the least acceptable recording quality but give the longest record time (8 hours on a 2meg card) ... :cool:

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Thanks, I'll probably just stick to converting them then.

9. burnunit

burnunit obsolete

Nov 17, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Your iTunes Preferences are probably set to import as AIFF - this can be changed to default to MP3.

10. I've found that VBR files usually sound better than CBR, but it depends a great deal on the encoder used.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    The MP3's come out fine for rehearsals... I usually use the MP3 320kbps mode.

kevinmoore73: are you referring to the Zoom H2's internal settings? I encode all my music via Lame's -vbr switch and the 'extreme' setting. I've yet to have someone able to tell CD from MP3 on the ones I've ripped. So yes, VBR is a great thing... but the Zoom has their VBR setting as the most 'space saving' setting.

12. I was not referring to the H2's settings. I was just making a statement that VBR is usually considered to be better than CBR.

I also use LAME. Specifically, I use these settings:

-V 2 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

13. For all you Zoom H2 users, there's now an application that will convert the H2's native 4 channel surround recordings (2 stereo wav files) into either a DTS, binaural stereo or 5.1 WAV file format - it's free for 30 days, but it only costs $25 anyway! It's called Vortex Zoom Encoder.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I thought so... the H2's internal MP3 settings are what Ed was referring to, not real world MP3 encoding.

The BEST encoded MP3 out of an H2 is CBR @ 320kbps. If Joe is looking to save a step that is the setting he should be using on his H2. :)

15. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yes, the H2 settings ....

I've been getting some SD card dropout specifically with the H2's MP3VBR, seems like it's less when i go to an alternate MP3 selection. That dropout gets annoying when you have a track that is actually pretty decent then, BAM, there's the skip .... :rolleyes:

16. I don't know that I'd blame anything other than the H2 itself. While I really like my H2, it has "eaten" several SD cards since I bought it. It has digested two really great gigs for me. (And I never record in mp3 - always 44.1kHz/16-bit wav) I almost threw it in the garbage the last time it did it. Perhaps it's stupid, but I'm still using it. It hasn't eaten a show lately, but I'm always afraid it will.

17. If you're having drop out issues, you might be as well updating the H2 firmware, currently on v1.5 - improved stability all around and might address some of the concerns some people are reporting here.