1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom MS-60B question, phaser and flanger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BooshBass, Oct 14, 2013.

1. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Wondering what people's opinions are on the phaser and flanger on the Zoom MS-60B. I don't use phaser and flanger a huge amount and was planning on just putting a small stone nano and a boss bf2 at the end of my effects chain but now I'm thinking maybe just get an MS-60B to stick at the end and have a bunch of other fun stuff too.

Here's my board as of now

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I found them pretty good, for my few phaser/flanger needs. I was able to get phaser sound similar to the MXR block 90 I loved so much. The flanger patch I use is pretty much stock.

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    You should also look at the MB70-CDR... a bunch of extra modulation. Unless of course you're looking into using the filters and amp simulation.

4. Flanger sound is decent, a bit more muffled than my trusty BF-3, but it works on the gig. The detune patch is a decent chorus, too. Again seems to be some high end loss that the eq knobs can't really help, sort of more of a high fidelity issue, but it's totally fine for gigging. I am also finding the delays and reverb useful, if not mind-shatteringly beautiful.

I don't use phaser so I can't speak to that. Well I do use the very cool phaser patch on my SA BEF, but that's sort of a different thing than the boss phasers I tried so long ago.

If you have the cash the 70 cdr might be better if you just want modulation and time-based effects. But some of the other patches, like the PB OldSkool, once the gain is tamed, are money for some applications. I played an entire oldies and soul gig with it, except for the couple of funk tunes we played, and it killed. I find it's better for reggae than the reggae patch, which is a bit over-EQ'ed for my tastes. Also the synth style patches are darn good, and I've been digging the octaver too, especially the stock octaver patch with a bit of detune after it, very cool. I just had to spend the time to pull the gain down on all of the patches.

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I also would strongly recommend the 70CDR. I have both, the 60b and the 70CDR. I don't regret buying the 60b at all, I still use it at home but the 70CDR is on my main board. I bought the 60b thinking I could use it for a chorus pedal. Which I can, and did for a min. But then I picked the 70CDR a little over a month later and I now use it for chorus and reverb. ALL the effects on it are really good IMO. The delays are even pretty good. And some of the factory patches are crazy cool. I really dig the 70. If I had to pick one of the two, I'd go with the 70 just because I was in more need of modulation and so forth. Love both pedals though.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    And to answer your question, sorry, I think the phaser on the 60b is damn good. The flanger left a little to be desired but quite honestly I didn't spend much time with it. Its a flanger and it sounds good though. Thought it sounded a little thin. But again, I thought the phaser did too until I started messing with it last week oh man, I love the phaser now. So I'm sure the flanger can be tweaked to my liking.

vic_6 likes this.
  7. Hint: There´s already a Small Stone on your board. :)

That said, like gregmon I find the Zoom´s phaser pretty good (although not quite as lively as my Small Stone) and haven´t tried tweaking the flanger yet as I don´t really have a use for it.

Overall I find the MS-60B a much too good deal not to get it. Heaps of fun and useful features.

8. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Geez how did that get there haha. It's likely gonna fund part of the zoom.

Thanks all. I'm gonna take a look at the 70 too. Pretty much decided I'm gonna do this though after all the comments. Been itching to try out a zoom after all the props it gets on here anyways. I really just need the phaser and flanger and having room for another pedal sounds good to me if the zooms can cut it which it sounds like they can.

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh yes, both the 70 and 60 can def cut it IMO. It sort of sucks because a lot of people are missing out because multis have gotten a bad rap in many circles. IMO the newer zoom pedals are changing everything.

10. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I think I'm going 60. Although I'm not really into amp modeling (my former gt-6b turned me off because the models imo we're useless, maybe things will be different with zoom), I like how it has a lot of other stuff I can add to the end. Also, I have a nimbus which is really all the reverb I think I'll need and I'm gonna get a polytope which I'm sure will cover chorus pretty thoroughly. More jazzed about adding different filters and dedicated synths. I'm thinking of it sort of as a grabbag at the end of the chain that will also cover my limited use of phaser and flanger.

Thanks all for the help in deciding. Much appreciated.

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I don't use flanger, so no opinion on that. The phaser sound in the MS-60B I find a bit flat or lifeless compared to the dedicated pedals I've tried, though still OK in a mix.

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Then you should be happy with the 60b. The synths on it, IMO, are pretty awesome. I like the SVT amp sim and that's about it. The PB ol'school patch and bassman are pretty decent too. Actually, the PB patch is down right awesome. I've been using the SVT patch tweaked to my liking a lot lately and I'm really diggin it. If you have a nimbus and a polytope coming, you lucky bast**d hehe j/k, then you'll be more than fine with reverb and chorus. Those are the other two IE I've been GAS'n for!! I think you'll be happy with the 60b. And even if you're not, you won't have a problem selling it. I bought mine used off TB like 10 min after it was posted.

13. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I can only that this is the case almost 100% of the time when comparing multi with single but as long as its okay things should be alright. I generally like to heir on the side of quality and quantity (see what I did there) but board space is becoming an issue very quickly. As long as I can tweek them to a good point.

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Real estate is huge when you start getting up there in pedals. It seems like nothing is worth coming off once you get to a certain point with pedals. I had my concerns too about the effects in the 60b but when I got it, I was pleased at how they sounded and how I could tweak all them. Plus, you can create your own flanger or whatever with the empty patches. It's actually fun.

15. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I freaked out and bought a MIJ BF-2 on eBay for $60. After all that, man I suck. I'll get that Zoom sooner or later - I can never make up my mind about this stuff. It's a serious problem. I should probably change the name of this thread to "If only my job was obsessing about what pedal to sell and which one to buy next."

16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh man I feel your pain. We all probably do but I can only speak for myself. I've heard the BF2 is a damn good flanger for bass. And they're relatively inexpensive. I just saw one in the CL's here on TB for $60 as well. I can't count how many times I've deviated from my plans of getting one pedal then buying a different one the same day. Hell, that's how I've built half my collection and found some bad a** ones. The zoom ain't goin anywhere.