Zoom ms-60b

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lynn M, May 29, 2018.

1. Lynn M

Lynn M

May 29, 2018
    Have a Zoom ms-60b coming tomorrow and have a question that hopefully someone can help me with? Since the unit has different preamp models built in, should you run it thru the effects loop or ok to run it into the standard passive/active input?

2. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    It should work fine in either place in the chain; however, some have stated that the Zoom MS pedals seem to behave much better when you plug in your instrument directly. I have not experimented on this, personally, so I can only pass on what I have gathered from others. Just try it both way, and stick with whichever sounds best to you--you won't damage anything.

3. tpa

tpa

Dec 1, 2007
    København, Danmark
    I have used the MS-50 for guitar. Not much luck in the effects loop of my Peavey Bandit. If you use od/dist/ampsim effects it works best with instrument input. Has to with signal level sensitivity for such effects. If the signal level on the effects loop is switchable on your amp, I suppose it does not matter. I plug my instruments directly into the pedal. Which ain't bad either because it then also works as a buffer amplifier.

bassbrad likes this.
  4. The MS60 is best used as an input level effect, most effect loops would cause clipping or unwanted noise due to high signal level.

5. Lynn M

Lynn M

May 29, 2018
    So then would you use passive or active input? And the amp Sims won't interfere with the preamp already in the amp itself? Thank you for all the replies!

6. tpa

tpa

Dec 1, 2007
    København, Danmark
    You do not have to use amp sims if you do not like the sound. I have used sims and not had any bad experience in feeding this to my Bandit which of course might not need it. I just ended up with a chain of effects in the MS that I liked the sound of out of my amplifier. I dont think the amplifier was jealous about that :)

7. You would probably just use the normal input. If you use an amp sim you can choose to use a speaker sim or switch it off. I find it interesting to experiment with those as some combinations work while other might not.

8. Lynn M

Lynn M

May 29, 2018
    Thanks for all the replies!

bassbrad likes this.
  9. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Would this work?

I'm thinking of picking one of these units up for gigs when my full board isn't necessary. The board is fairly big and includes a mixer for my IEMs. But I do have gigs where the IEMs aren't used and stage space doesn't allow for the board. I can just go straight into the amp but do find I miss my OC-2, Mooer Sweeper and Helix Phaser. I'm thinking the Zoom would give me the octave, filter and phaser in a single box that would fit in my gig bag.

10. The MS60B can get you close but has nothing like the Sweeper's dual sweeping filerrs. The octaver and phasers on board will make do nicely and there are decent filters to choose from as well.

11. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I saw a YouTube demo that featured some filters I thought I may like even more than the Sweeper. Another showed a comparison between the Zoom and an OC-2. It was pretty close. Based on those and your recommendation I decided to give it a go. For $100 I'm sure I'll find enough useful sounds to make it worth it.

12. Absolutely, especially after you upload the v2 sounds if needed and using the ToneLib editor you should be able to find plenty that will do.

I am putting together a micro stereo rig using a stereo bass with the neck pick up going to the MS60B and the bridge going to an MS50G switching in tandem with a Lizard Breath switcher. All the gigs will be fly away gigs with a bass, the efx in a gig bag using a back line or in-ears, all hail the modern age. I used to tour with a van full of bass gear.

13. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Got it! After a hour or so of learning the editing process I dialed in some sounds that should meet (or even exceed) my needs. My next issue regards powering the pedal. The manual and the unit say it requires a 500ma adapter. Of course Zoom insists it must be their adapter. The power list at Stinkfoot lists the current draw at 140ma. I have several 300ma adapters and a Hotspot which I believe is 1600ma. Do I need to buy the Zoom adapter or am I good to go with one I already have? I'm tempted to go with batteries (maybe rechargeable).

14. eddie16

eddie16

Jan 11, 2005
    KC, MO
    I've run mine many times with my OneSpot, powering 3-4 other pedals. It works fine. I tried AA's a few times, it seemed to eat through them pretty quick.

neuman, alack and bassbrad like this.
  15. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I had the opportunity to give the MS60b a test run on the gig last night. Blues/rock gig in an open air tiki bar. Simple setup, GK500 through an Avatar 1x12. It took me a while to figure out how to quickly cycle to the desired presets. We don't have set lists. The BL just calls, or more often starts the next tune and we follow him in. I figured out that at the end of each song I need to press the middle parameter button to access my presets and then use the footswitch to quickly cycle to and select the preset of choice.

I used it simply as a "one effect per preset" box. The DBX compressor for my clean sound, Xotic BB for some OD, a couple filters (Q-tron and Moog), phaser and an Octave. All effects performed well or better than the units I have on my board (TC, Boss, Way Huge & Mooer). The one that falls short is the octave. My OC-2 has spoiled me. But the Zoom's octave was close enough in the context of a full band.

My plan was to keep the Zoom separate for gigs where space and convenience are a concern. But I'm thinking I'll add it to my board for today's gig just so I have access to the filters. That Moog sound alone was worth the $100.

bassbrad likes this.
  16. robass

robass

Oct 27, 2007
    central coast, ca
    I tried powering my MS-60 off the 200mA power output on my Boss tuner. All i got was a nasty buzz. Fortunately the tuner is good enough on the MS so I'll just ditch the Boss tuner on my micro-pedalboard. That said, my Boss adapter powered the Zoom pedal just fine

alack and bassbrad like this.
  17. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I had a spare OneSpot that's working out with the Zoom.

As I've gotten to know the unit better I've put together a number of 4 pedal presets, making each pedal easily accessed with the simple left or right toggle. Some "go-to" effects I really like are the M Comp, BB preamp for dirt, M filter and Q-tron model. When I use the MS-60B as a stand alone I generally have the M Comp always on, switch on the BB for a bit of OD. The Bass Octave and a filter fill the two remaining slots. On other presets I'll swap out the filter for a mod. The Vibrato is very nice and I found a flanger that works well. I have a few "clean boards" (minus the BB) set to go if I decide to bring a separate dirt pedal. Then I can have the comp, octave, filter and mod ready to go. And when I add the Zoom to my main board I have a preset of two filters and two mods I can choose from.

I must say I'm impressed. The flexibly of this pedal would make it a welcome addition to any board as a way to fill holes in your rig without emptying your bank account.

18. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I just scored an MS-60B. I'm not much of a bass effects guy. Mostly compression and EQ (which I can usually dial in at the amp).

On guitar, I'm a bit of an analog snob. I've gone way down the modeling rat hole countless times but I keep coming back to good ol' analog signal paths (mostly fuzzes, boosts and delays) and quality tube amps. But we all know bass is an entirely different animal.

So I approached the MS-60B with a healthy dose of skepticism, especially since I find the Zoom guitar units very fake sounding and cartoonish. But for bass, this unit works exceeding well. I'm very impressed with the overall musicality of it. $90 used/mint shipped to my door. I really couldn't be happier. It's exactly what I need at this moment.

I should mention that I did previously own a Zoom B3, and while I generally liked it, I did not love it. I actually think the MS-60B is better sounding.

petch likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022