1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom ms 70cdr

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ls3m88, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ls3m88

Ls3m88

Nov 14, 2017
    Hi. I have seen a couple threds on this subject but im still learning and digging into what my cheapest option is. I want to buy the zoom ms 70cdr. Ive read it responds via midi. Ive seen ppl have made stomp box controllers but i cant find any tutorials on them. I dont want to buy a disaster area controller because theyre over priced. Im buying this pedal because of the price, im not trying to make it a 300 purchase. Would it be possible to use something like a raspberry pi? Can i just buy a midi foot switch and buy a usb adapter and it be plug and play? Thanks in advance

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I hate to tell you to do a site search, as I'm sure you've tried, but you may need to do a search on the MS-60b threads. I am MIDI ignorant, but there was a bunch of discussion when someone was developing the disaster area controller or something similar. I seem to recall something about the issue of sending but not receiving MIDI or vice versa. Really don't know other than there was some non-standard MIDI issue.

3. Disaster Area Designs | DMC.micro

Many of us are waiting on more of these to become available to use with our Zoom pedals, sure it would be great to find something less expensive but then again the Disaster Area guys are supposed to have worked out all the kinks and that has gotta be worth a few bucks, shucks even Canadian Dollars.

GMC likes this.
  4. Buying a $100 controller for a $70 pedal seems a little goofy but I'm not sure what your other options would be. Realistically, do you really need to swap multiple modulation patches on bass during one song? I pretty much just use the Space Hole algorithm though.

5. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    When you consider that a $70 pedal plus a $100 controller can do what would otherwise cost several thousands of dollars in multiple pedals (convincingly enough for live use), it shouldn't seem like all that much. That's about what a used MXR reverb and chorus would cost, and get you 95% tonally there with a few hundred other effects to boot. The DMC.micro is a tiny godsend for MS users.

bassbrad likes this.
  6. Ls3m88

Ls3m88

Nov 14, 2017
    So can the micro store patches vias button or just scroll up and down? And if it can store how many banks does it have? Thanks for the replies.

7. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    It can scroll and store up to 99 presets, as you wish. And if I did not misunderstand DA (from a TGP post), it can also access the tuner which means holding the MS switch can be left to tap tempo.

8. As much as I like the MS-70CDR, it's biggest weakness is it's lack of external control. There's no expression option and the external patching is pretty tiresome and unsupported. So regardless of price, any working external control solution is very welcome. The MS-70CDR (like many Zoom products) had the design potential to be really something special, but in every case...they have been well designed but in all the wrong areas. It's almost like Zoom don't want to cater for the semi-pro crowd. It wouldn't take much for them to bring out a cheap budget Multi FX unit to keep up with an H9.

bass hoe, Mr. voodoobass and bassbrad like this.
  9. Yeah I definitely agree. It is frustrating because the sound is there. Their algorithms are really very good. Imagine the CDR in a DD-500 or Strymon style chassis. It would be killer.

bassbrad likes this.
  10. Agreed, it seems as though Zoom is spending all its resources on remote and broadcast recording and really dropping the ball on guitar and bass products. But NAMM and Musicmesse are coming they may have something under wraps.
    Luckily I have a buyer for the MS100bt so will be getting the DMC.micro and a second MS60 B for a potent mini travel board.

11. Compared to Strymon or Eventide, it's not quite there sonically for recording, the verbs are denser and not as clear but for live work it's very very good.

bass hoe likes this.
  12. Ehh depends on what you're going for. They're as good as Strymon for the kind of stuff I like. I mostly just use plugins for recording though.

13. If you want expression pedal control of MS pedals, see below. Costs a bit more than the DMCmicro but does quite a lot more. (If you watch on youtube, the description has links to other demos. Not the best quality, but might give an idea.)

(Note that expression pedal control probably is useful only for the first 3 effects in a chain on the MS pedals, due to Zoom firmware issues.)

GMC likes this.
  14. Ls3m88

Ls3m88

Nov 14, 2017
    Can you attach an external 3rd party midi controller to add more buttons for patches to the disaster area? Like add a midi mouse to expand?