ZOOM Ms B-60 or b1xon/b1on?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zakmax, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Zakmax

Zakmax

Jan 23, 2016
    like the title says, what do you guys think is better and worth a buy as a small multi effects pedal for rehearsals and small gigs?

2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I think the ms60 is built better, as the b1 seems to be plastic instead of a metal chassis.

SpazzTheBassist and CharlieC like this.
  3. Zakmax

Zakmax

Jan 23, 2016
    I've noticed there's more effects in b1xon /b1on, are those extra effects make the b1on a better buy? (I don't really care about the looper or the drum machine)

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    The B1on is plenty sturdy IMO. The only problem I have with it is that the preset selector switches are very sensitive so often gets "switched" unintentionally. Since my main use for the presets is changing pitch suddenly finding myself a half step off is very :( .

5. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Funny - I just got a b1on last week after having the MS-60B for a few months (it was my first pedal and definitely the one that turned me on to effects).

Pros of the b1on:
    • Very slim and light. Perfect for a gig-bag pocket.
    • A few more effect models.
    • More pre-loaded presets and some of them much more usable out of the box than the ones in the MS-60B.
    • Can run 5 effects in the chain (most of the time - some combinations will give a "DSP overload error"
    • Per-preset level adjustment
    • Global level adjustment.
    • Drum/metronome patterns.
    • Looper.
    • Headphones out.
    Pros of the MS-60B:
    • Feels a little bit more sturdy.
    • Has an option to cycle through a subset of presets with the footswitch. Seems like almost a must for any serious gigging, and I haven't found anything equivalent on the b1on.
    • It's slightly easier to tweak the effects, because of the 3 knobs that you can directly rotate (no need to rotate the main knob, click "enter", rotate again, click enter again, etc) - though I must say the difference i usability isn't that big. They're both (alas) much less usable than "real" pedals, for tweaking at least.
    • A bit less real estate.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    StayLow and Bassmike62 like this.
  6. Zakmax

Zakmax

Jan 23, 2016
    SO now when you have them both, which one would you suggest me to buy

7. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    its also half the price and comes with a looper :D

8. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Why aren't you considering the B3?

If I were to choose among them for gigs, I'd say the MS-60B, for the slightly easier tweakability and the "cycle through preselcted prests" feature (unless someone has a solution for this on the b1on/x

9. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    You have to turn-on the "PreSelect" function On in the B1on and it does this...Zoom assumes players make patches and stores them adjacently but they added "PreSelect" for those that dont

10. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    It isn't exactly the same thing. On the MS-60B it will cycle _only_ thorugh the presets that you select.

The feature you're referring to allows you to cycle through presets without putting them into effect, so this may be useful if you have the time to fiddle with it and if you order them so that they're neer to each other in the selction order, but I really can't see how this is good enough for any real giggiing situation. The MS-60B is better thought out IMO.

11. Zakmax

Zakmax

Jan 23, 2016
    The b3 is not in the same budget category as the others and also it has only 3 effects in a chain

champbassist and ProfFrink like this.
  12. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    ah, thanks for the clarification.....Its possible that Zoom predicated that having the use of two individual pedals for scrolling alleviated the need for that function

I guess that is highly dependent on the needs of the user: I imagine its not good if someone uses a lot of effects all the time on each and every song...for persons that slightly color (like different compressor settings) its probably no big deal

I use mine as a Parametric EQ (thats its only function) before my Zoom B3 and I have presets stored for each bass so Im probably not the best person to ask.....It is an amazing unit, though, and I technically could have done everything in it alone and not even used the B3 :) and its cheap :D

13. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Thinking about it a bit more: I'd say it's probably a pretty marginal difference for gigging.

You can actually get around the limitation that I described by swapping the order of your presets so that the ones you need for a gig are all pretty close. I think there's a "swap presets" function, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

So yeah, maybe the b1on is just as good, considering the added models and slightly higher capacities (effects in chain, presets)

14. Zakmax

Zakmax

Jan 23, 2016
    So I still have no idea which one to buy lol

15. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Right. Sorry mate. Maybe watch a few videos and just go for what "feels" right...?

Or wait for some more inputs...

16. Zakmax

Zakmax

Jan 23, 2016
    Already did that, but I don't know, the b60 is small and compact like I want but the b1on has more effects to play with and looks more easy to operate with the 2 switches

17. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Get both with good return policy? Or get both and sell one here?

vmabus likes this.
  18. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I was in the same boat and pulled the trigger on the B1on just yesterday. The 60 looks slick and all, but the B1on has more features and is half the price. That sealed the deal for me. All other differences seem pretty insignificant unless there is something specific to the 60 that you need.

ProfFrink likes this.
  19. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I have owned the 60B, the B3, and the B1on. I now only own the B1on. Let me put it this way, the B1on has been THE single best piece of gear I have EVER purchased. I did not like the 60B at all. I found it harder to edit, did not sound as good, and found it to be quite noisy. The B3 was okay but you can only combine three effects. The B1on allows you to combine five! The two biggest advantages of the B3 over the B1on is that it has a DI and is also an interface. I REALLY wish the B1on had both of these features! However, for $50, the B1on is just a MONSTER of a value and just an unbelievable piece of gear in terms of its sound quality, ease of use, portability, and versatility. And no, I am not a Zoom endorser. Just a VERY happy owner of a B1on. I NEVER leave home without it. The fact that it's housing is plastic has never been an issue. It's quite sturdy as is.

SnoMan likes this.
  20. I had a B3 but sold it. I was going to get a B60 until I discovered the B1on. Just a ridiculous number of features for a $49 pedal! I have had no issues with it being plastic. I have one on my board and plan on getting a second one to leave at my drummer's house/practice space.

dralionux likes this.