ZOOM Multi-Effect Bass Pads

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WordIsBorn79, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Godlike

1 vote(s)
  2. They're Great

7 vote(s)
  3. Decent

26 vote(s)
  4. Not So Hot

21 vote(s)
  5. Pathetic

12 vote(s)
  1. WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Guys, I owned the origional Zoom 506 bass pad for a long time, and it has finally met it's day. I was thinking about replacing it with another Zoom pad, but when when i went to the music store, I was baffled. There were 2 new Zoom bass pads. One was somewhat silver in color and smaller, while the other one had an expression pedal, and was slightly larger. What the hell happened? When did they come out with 2 new ones? Are they actually new, and if so, which one is newer? Which one do I get? Ah yes, questions, questions. :rolleyes: :confused:
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Zoom's rack FX are near Godlike (for their price) - my RFX2000 kicks serious heiner.

BUT, their floor multi-FX leave a lot to be desired. Great bang for the buck if you're playing at home/amateur-level, but quite lousy in a professional live or studio environment. From my experience the FX are digital, brittle, and lacking in any warmth or character.

Honestly, decide on the FX that you like the most, and (slowly) find and buy the best individual pedals to suit.
  4. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Quick Bigfeet!!!! Another one needs saving!!!!:eek:
  5. rhythmrod

Oct 27, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    You are most likely talking about the 506II and the 708. I have the 708 which is the one with the pedal. It's ok for light duty, but I would not use it for a gig. I don't know how much the store was charging for it, however, you can pick one up fairly cheap used. If you want some serious effects, I would go rack.:cool:
  6. I have used a 506 since they came out and recently got a 607 and I really like using them. For the price, utility and size they are hard to beat. I have a large and choice selection of efx but mostly use a vintage BassBalls and a zoom pedal for ease of use and speedy setups/teardowns, I'm just not into spending a lot of time and hauling more stuff than the drummer.
  7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yeah, I know that the Zoom pedals are not the greatest, but I have a good time with mine... at jam sessions and on the gigs.

I use a highly-tweaked Zoom BFX-708 with a separate true bypass pedal. I've spent many afternoons fine-tuning the factory patches (which were average- to poor-sounding), and I got them to sound first class. After my tweaking of the effects patches, and adjusting the four-band EQ which is available within every patch, I'm very happy with this pedal, given the price (cheap these days, less than $140 new, and $75, or less, used).

The bypass pedal, which I covered in another thread, enables me to have a true bypass when the effects are not engaged. If you're particular about your clean tone, you'll want a bypass pedal when using a Zoom, since they don't have true bypass.

I only use effects on solos, or a song intro which is primarily bass. I usually use any one of the chorus, flanger, octaver, wah, or envelope filter patches.

I probably use it on less than 50% of my solos. but when I do, it usually causes a few heads to turn my way. It's fun!
  8. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    like veryone has already said, the zoom's are good for the money. I have the 708, and it is okay. I aslo play my guitar through it and it ismore use to that than the bass. Just because some of the effects are useless. Once I have bought my new amp(in about 5 years time) I will then by my stingray (i'll probabaly be 30) then i will sell my zoom and start buying analogue pedals.
  9. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I have both a Mk1 506 and the 708,

Both I find are more than adequate,

I can say one thing,

A couple of years ago I saw a Band called Earthtone9, Good Band, but their bass player used the 506 Live, and sang it's praises (Thus I Bought one).

I find they are definately adequate for what they are, And I would use both live (in the right situation!) but again this is individual taste

10. I played with a Zoom 506 for a long time, and I could never get the sound I wanted live. I could play it in the living room and it would sound great, but once I turned the volume knob up on stage, the effects seemed to *crack*.

Short of spending buku dollars on rack-mounts, I would stay away from digital processors.
  11. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    I was once of the innocent generation, I too thought that zoom was 'cool'. For about 2 weeks I was mesmerised by the crazy and otherworlds sounds created by 'Step' (and thats the only one i can remember just now). I later realies that the sound is terrible and would be very embarressed if someone actualy thought my bass really did have all the tone sucked out of it. I do however enjoy the odd effect, but for this i borrow my richer than me bass playing friends little analogue boxes.

The tuning facility in the 708 is very excellent though, and the drum machine comes in handy as a metronome.

i find i can get enough expressive tones out of my tanglewood and peavey, tone that sounds groovy and alive, not flat and mutilated.

yes it took me a wee while to reach this conclusion, but never mind, im here now.

...anyone wanna buy a slightly used zoom 708??:rolleyes:
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a 506, and while it's not studio quality, it works OK for my originals band. I only use effects on 2 songs, but I tweaked the factory patches and came up with a very nice sounding patch for each song.

One mistake I have seen some people make with the Zoom pedals is using them in the effects loop. They sound awful and have a ton of noise this way. But inline between the bass and amp(the way they were designed to work) they sound pretty good for the price.
  13. Im thinking bout getting the zoom 607 in 2 weeks time and was wondering is the slap option on there any good because my whole band likes slap which is annoyin for me cause my thumbs just recovered from being broken, but newayz plz help be4 i murder my band
  14. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i have the 708.....

i also have a migraine!

im gonna sell it and get some individuals, simply becausde i cant use the damn thing to the extent i want to because of all the digital....um....ness.

if you wanna tinker for ALOT of time.....go for it, if not, then go anologue.

15. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001

Two slightly used bfx 708's????
  16. I will ill get the train down to london its onlyhalf hour for me
  17. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
  18. On their website there is a new version of the 708. Has anyone ever seen/used one to know if it's any better than the original?
  19. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Forget the Zoom pedal.. get a used Boss ME-6B. [​IMG]
  20. Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    It sure seems like it's better than the original, but they keep pushing back the release date. As far as I know, it isn't out, and won't be until at least mid September.