1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom multi-effects/multistomp patch backup - volunteers please!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drdashdot, Mar 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. As mentioned in other Zoom usb control threads, I've been working on a Zoom patch backup/sharing program, and it should be ready this month. I plan to release it as shareware and also have an online patch repository (probably with - horror! - a little discrete advertising for funding) for drag and drop patch loading.

This should work for all Zoom pedals with a usb port (including those that Zoom say is for firmware upgrade only.) I've already confirmed with G5, G3X, B3, MS-70CDR, MS-60B, G1on and B1on.

To be able to include detection and patch validity checking for other pedals, I need a little bit of information and so I'm looking for volunteers to supply this information for the following pedals:

• G3 (v2 - ie with 6 effects/patch)
    • MS-50G
    • G1Xon
    • B1Xon
    • Any older pedals that have a usb interface (eg, G2.1Nu)
    • Even the new G5n, if anyone's willing

What's involved: I'll send you a program to run on your windows PC (with the Zoom pedal connected.) The program will talk with the pedal and write a small text file to your desktop, which you'll email back to me.
    Volunteers will receive an advance copy of the program, plus my eternal gratitude (and that of the millions who will use the program with that pedal. Must be good karma!)

I only need one volunteer for each pedal. Note below which pedal you can help with and I'll pm.

TIA!
    Dave

(Also posted on theGearPage)

scotch likes this.
  2. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
  3. Too cool! So this will work with the MS60 B?

4. Thanks i2k. I'll send you email shortly.

Yes it does! As a bonus, none of my test units have exploded. (Yet.)

Still looking for a B1Xon and MS50 (and a G5n!)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  5. .
    I'll try it on my MS60-B if you like Dave.

Greg

6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I have a B1on. Should be the same as B1Xon.

7. Thanks Greg. Hang in for a couple of weeks and it will appear. The MS-60B already works with the program - I'm just sorting out a few things - mostly the online interface.

Thanks jumblemind. I have a B1on and also expect it should be the same. Just need to confirm.

OzzyGreg likes this.
  8. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I have both the B1xon and the ms-50g. You can try me, not sure my computer is up to the task.

Viking6286@aol.com

9. Thanks BassikLee. Computer doesn't need to be too powerful - I'll email you with details.

BassikLee likes this.
  10. bassleigh

bassleigh

Sep 25, 2008
    This sounds very useful, I eagerly await the finished build. I have B3 and B1on if you need/want some beta testers.
    I have made an Arduino based patch switching box for the current zoom pedals, hope to release a video soon with a demo and instructions on how to build it. The design and code is not original though it is slightly modified -
    Till then, you can find information here

Teijo K. and maggsybass like this.
  11. Sorry for the delay, folks.

My full-on stand alone USB/midi controller has been on the back burner for a few weeks, while the effect of the new G5n became apparent. It looks like the world still needs a full-on stand alone USB/midi controller for Zoom pedals, so back to that soon...

Meanwhile, the patch backup program is ready enough. Windows only at this stage, until the Mac and I are back on speaking terms.
    Some documentation soon, but it might make sense on its own. Use at your own risk!
    I plan to have a you tube video up to run through the basics within a day or two.

As well as local storage, the program has drag and drop capability from an internet repository via a built in (basic) browser.
    My compatriot Dr Xum (which might or might not be his real name) has created a forum for the primary purposes of downloading the software and of sharing patches.

To download the patch librarian program, go to Zoom patch exchange - Index and look for Dr Xum's post in General Discussion. (Not hard to find, at this stage!)
    That has a link to the download.
    The program is free (but I'm happy to accept donations if it's useful to you - click the about button.)

I'll post again soon when there's some of documentation. (I'll also make a more general announcement then.)
    Meanwhile, if you want to download and play with the software, PLEASE BACK UP YOUR PATCHES at the very start! If it's not obvious how to do that, please wait for the documentation.

Thanks for your patience. I hope it's worth the wait.

Dave

whbjr and Jazz Ad like this.
  12. Spocky

Spocky

Mar 13, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Is there going to be a Mac version of the software as I have a B3 but only use Macs.

Cheers Spocky

13. That is the plan - but I have to give my Mac the kiss of life. If I say sometime this weekend, that probably means by the end of the month.

14. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    cool

15. Blue Dragon

Blue Dragon

Jan 4, 2016
    Just wanted to post a big "YES" here after trying this out on my B1on. My USB port no longer is restricted only to power and firmware upgrades! With this software, I've been able to do a full backup, full restore, individual backup, individual restore and "swap" patches from one location to another on the fly. Great work drdashdot! I thought I'd mention that issue I had when installing it, for others that might encounter the same thing. During installation, my Avast antivirus flagged it as DRep. At first I thought it was saying it had a virus, but a quick google search for Avast DRep revealed it's just Avast being overprotective because it doesn't have a Domain Reputation score yet. I got around Avast (actually disabled it for 10 mins) to install it.

With no documentation, I was able to quickly figure out all the major functions with no problem. I wrote a more detailed explanation on the General Discussions forum there, so don't think you need documentation to use it. It's damn intuitive. REALLY loved the ability to swap patches around. My B1on is set up with my set list in order, so if the set list order changes, I can now just rearrange patches to match. This IS the software Zoom forgot to include. (I just hope they don't decide to disable the ability to do this on the B1on in future firmware updates! It does increase the value of the B1on significantly. Should the plastic $50 pedal break, I can now buy a new one and update my patches instantly.)

drdashdot likes this.
  16. Thanks Blue Dragon, both for that and your post on the zoompatches forum. That post is a very good start - I'll comment further over there.

One thing I'll comment on here is regarding your zoompatches post about being unable to post a new topic in the B1on forum there. That's by design (to make sure those boards contain patches only.) To upload a patch, simply drag it from the pedal pane (the middle one) and drop it anywhere on the browser area (on the left). That will prepare a post for the correct forum for that patch automatically. (Ie, it's designed to allow only the ZoomLib program to start a topic - with a patch file - that members can then comment on or rate. I think that might work/hope it does.)

Cheers
    Dave

Blue Dragon likes this.
  17. whbjr

whbjr

Nov 23, 2007
    Austin TX
    Awesome! This takes the fear out of moving and editing patches - now I can get back any that I mess up!

Blue Dragon likes this.
  18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have a B1xon if any help is needed. I sorta have a ms60b too, but a good buddy of mine it using now and will most likely buy it. This may be of some interest to him as well @Worshipbass12. It may over your head at this time ;) but for future use, this could be really cool.

19. There's now a brief ZoomLib user's guide on the zoompatches forum.

Please try downloading/uploading - share your favourite patches. (The patch exchange will make it very easy to try patches, but needs patches to try!)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  20. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Seems to be working on my MS60b