Zoom Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by morty25, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Are zoom pedals any good. Im thinking of buying one but i heard that they drain your tone.
    Could any one recomend any other good pedals?
  2. at first i would strongly advice you against using multi-fx pedals.

but if you are stubborn and still want to do multi-FX, then i would strongly advice you against using ZOOM pedal.

from what i've experienced most Multi-FX pedals drain both tone and volume ( specially the Korg AX1B drains volume ).

what could be a labeled as a " decent multi-fx pedal" , is the Digitech BP-8. i would advice you to check that one out rather than burst into the store to get a zoom pedal.
  3. On the other hand, I use a Zoom 506 and 607 and I like them both, they aren't perfect by any means but they do get the job done. Single effect units are better sounding, more controlable, more durable, frankly more lovable BUT they cost a bit more. I use Multiefx pedals kinda like a sonic swiss army bass tool it tunes, compresses, distorts, makes swishy noise and all of those other things and it is inexpensive and it fits in the pocket of my gig bag plus it can serve as a practice amp with headphones. For the price of a single effect you can have your foot in the door, find out what you like and don't like and get on with your life. .
  4. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD... i definetly wouldnt recommend anything by zoom...
  5. ...and I would have to agree.
  6. TonyG

Jul 9, 2002
    Beaverton, Oregon
    I have a Zoom 506 I use as a tuner now. The effect severely cut the low end of my sound out, no matter what effect. Even with the octave divider patch, the low end seems to have lost some of that nice round resonance.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I knew ImNotGeddyLee would be in this thread. :)Well heres my deal with Zoom, if you don't know what effects you like, Zoom would be alright. But if you only want like a fuzz and a chorus... buy a individual fuzz and chorus. This goes for all Multi-effects in my opinion, they are kinda like previews for all sorts of effects.
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ive a/b my Zoom 708?? and There is hardly any difference in tone. Ive tried it with 3 different basses and never noticed any dropout in tone or output.
  9. I am currently using the Zoom 607 pedal and have also not noticed any drop in tone or the bottom end. Most of the effects are really cool, customizable, and for the price, seems to me like it was a worthwhile investment. If you like, the following hyperlink is a review on the 607 from bass guitar review.com. http://www.bass-guitar-review.com/article-display/135.html
  10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I've got a 708 - they do suck tone big time.
    The tuner is o.k. and to be fair it's a great practice tool with the sampler and rythm functions - but other than that .... it makes a good ashtray.
  11. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    anyone wanna buy a 708? ;)

seriously, from personal experience, they suck all the tone from your bass and all the bass from your tone.

12. I have a ZOOM 506 and let me tell you it really does suck. After a while the clean effects started having fuzz in them and sometimes the bottom would fall out of the sound until i tapped the side of the pedal with my foot, biggest waste of $250. Then i got some single effects, like a decent chorus pedal, and even though it cost the same amout as the ZOOM it was worth it. Just my thoughts.

13. ok im confused...... I just bought a 708 Zoom pedal and now after seeing this I dont really want to use it! When you say it drains the low end of my sound out are you talking about in your amp? Because if so im getting my money back because i cant have my Ampeq getting all screwed with....
  14. doesn't screw with amp only the sound.
  15. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    I have got the 506II and use it with my electric bass and my ABG. I have allways had problem with hizz when going through the instrument input on any amp. But when I go through the Lo-Z input on my combo the hizz-problem is almost gone. You have to be careful when tuning in the effects you would like to use to get a good tone of this little fellow.

16. hmm... on a side note...

allodox... i've got that korg pedal, sure it's a piece of junk, but you can edit out the volume drop on the thing.
  17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You get what you pay for.
  18. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Thats just our point. YOU DON'T get what you pay for. There are much better pedals out there for alot less. You dont need to have lotsa ££££££'s. Just some experience. And this is most often found in posts from people that like to help people rather than make generalised statements.
  19. tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    I've a/b'ed with both a 506 (not 100% sure on the model) and my current GT-6B. Both altered the tone, with the Zoom unit altering it far more than my B. The B's alterations, though, were fixed enough to convince me simply by a bit of adjustment. All FX, especially multi-fx, will alter the tone somewhat, but a good multi unit will atleast allow you to fix it.

That being said, for all I use my 6B for, I probably could have gotten away with a couple stomps for less and had the same affect.
  20. I have the ZOOM506II, and I just use the compressor. I don't really have a use for any of the other FX (allthough ther are a few groovy settings for slapping). I only bought it when I first started playing bass and I saw it as a piece of EQ you just have to have, I asked the guy in the shop about advice on bassFXpedals and he offered it to me showing me all the functions and It was cool, all the interesting noises and it had a tuner in it...wow how could you live without it, i thought.
    Hmph, now here I am with just an expencive tuner!
    And you say it makes the sound even worse? GGRRrrr what F@&%ing &§$!"´@#*+%(&)>бµ}.
    And yes he is the same guy who sold me a Fender Bassman25 watt amp and told me that it was fine for playing with a band.
    Oh well, as with Apollo13, you learn from mistakes. ...ups i seem to have drifted fromthe point......eeerrrr....oh yeah... the Zoom is a nice toy, but I wouldnt concider it a usefull piece of EQ for a good price. As i said B4 I just use it as an overpriced tuner.