1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom Q3 used with an HD video camera,,, Great Results !!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Davyo, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I was wanting to get the Zoom Q3 for recording the bands I am in but held off because I did not like the 4:3 standard def video the Zoom Q3 puts out, but I bought one anyways and took the line out from the Q3 and put it into my Kodak Zi8,,, best of both worlds,, I now have great HD video and audio.

I be very happy I bought the Q3 and tried it out with my Kodak Zi8 as I was not sure how good, or if it would even work at all.

Anyhow, just thought I would post that info for anyone that has not wanted to get the Q3 becuase of the semi-crappy video quality.

Cheers
    Davyo

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Can you post a sample?

3. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    The only sample I have posted right now is this YouTube video review I shot of the Q3 and the Zi8 used together, its not band footage but it does show footage I shot with and without the Q3 being used for tha audio with my Zi8,,,, .

This Sunday I will be recording a rehearsal and post that later that night,, Tuesday I have a club gig and will be posting that as well.

Cheers
    Davyo

4. Jkaz

Jkaz

May 23, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    So your Kodak Zi 8 uses the Q3 for sound only, and the file is recorded on your Zi 8, correct? By the way, what type of video file does the Zi 8 produce?

I have the Q3, and I know its designed for the sound, but it would be better to have a clearer image. I also wish the Q3 had more sound control options, like the H2. It's more of a point and shoot type of digital recorder. It would also have been nice if they shipped a power cord with the Q3.

Thanks for the info.

5. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Correct,, the Zi8 is getting the audio from the the Q3.

The Kodak Zi8 records in .mov format.

Cheers
    Davyo

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020