Zoom Q3HD - What video resolution

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    What video resolution is best to record with on my Zoom Q3HD when the final destination are things like Facebook and YouTube?

The options are:
    HD1080/30 fps
    HD720/60 fps
    HD720/30 fps
    WVGA/60 fps
    WVGA/30 fps

Bearing in mind I need to record a 45 minute set into a file no larger than 3.7 GB or else the recorder will automatically chop it and start a new file (right in the middle of a song).

Is it better to record in higher quality and convert it down to whatever resolution in video editing software?

Bonus question - Does anybody know the cutoff frequency for the "Lo Cut" filter on this thing?

Thanks for all helps!

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    I use HD720/30fps constantly because some issues were found about recording in other modes in lower light settings. You have looked at this?
    http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/q3hd/spec/

Not sure of the low cut. You could always run the audio MONITOR output into a PC to look at the frequency differences before and after LOW CUT is selected. I emailed ZOOM directly to see if their folks will tell us. I'll let you know what/if I hear back from them.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I wouldn't go past 30 fps unless I was looking for slowMo effects but resolution and audio dumb down works better in post for me.

4. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Thanks, that chart is handy!

It shows that at HD720/30 and audio at PCM 16-bit 44.1 kHz sampling rate it will fill up 4 GB in an hour and 10 minutes.
    That's just what I need for a 45 minute set with a little breaktape music before and after.

The Zoom will do audio at a lot better than 16-bit 44.1 kHZ but that's CD quality (correct me if I'm wrong) and should be more than good enough for a live recording in an acoustically deficient dive bar through two little condenser mics (even if they're pretty good little condenser mics).

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Subscribed for future reference. Haven't been thrilled with the video I get out of that, but I'm not one for fiddling to see what works best. The sound however has been awesome.

6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    It's usually out of focus. I guess I should experiment and find out the best distance from the stage to get a good focus since it doesn't seem to be adjustable.
    I also noticed a big thumbprint on the lens, that can't be helping.

It works pretty good in excellent light, i.e. a daytime gig.
    Last night we had lights shining on us from in front, and a dark stage behind, and the camera didn't know what to do with that. My white bass came out really overexposed.

That's with the "scene" setting on auto...
    Tonight I may try it with the "scene" on "concert lighting" (for bright lights, according to the manual) and see what happens.

I think it may work better to lighten things up in a video editor versus darkening them down. If the original image is overexposed the detail is already lost, no amount of darkening will bring it back...

I think... any experts want to weigh in?

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021