1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ZOOM R16....Worth the trip!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by J.D.B., Oct 3, 2009.

1. Just got one and yeah, I like it. It's like a "super H4". Once ya get used to how the navigation works, you're off and running. I like simple. Took about fifteen minutes for me(the idiot) to get comfy with it. Granted, there are quite a few features I don't need or use(like the raft of effects included), but the ease of recording, capacity, and the storage system are well worth the extra $100 over the H4n. A remote control would make it very nearly perfect to me. I'm keeping my H4, though. It's just too easy to show up with it at live jams and get a good recording. The R16 can run on batteries, and has built-in mikes, but it's not exactly a "pocket" tool.

Josh

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It looks like a great unit.
    Both Standalone, and for use with a computer.
    Nice work by Zoom.
    I wouldn't think the built in mics would work that well. They seem handy for rehearsals though. Plenty of inputs for other mics.

3. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    How well does it reproduce your bass tone on recordings? Thought I read the mic pre-amps left bass tones a little thin...

I'm looking to get one of these to get into recording. Would like to have something to tinker around with for a while, then be able to use the same thing to record some tracks with my band for at least a demo quality type CD.

Seems like a really good all-around unit, and it's cheap. Can I get a good quality CD recording out of it (I realize it'll be no where near a full studio type recording, but if we can get 80% there, we'd be happy).

4. I find no difference from the H4. I process the tracks the same way. Listen to the track "Jaging the R16" and judge whether the tone is "too thin". The bass is a fretless P (U.S. pick-up, 9050ML flats) through a miked Trace 1215, Running a "Q-tron" for the first part of the track, then Q-tron through a "Bass Drive" pedal. This was the first I did with the R16. The latest version of the UBB was the second. Same bass setup minus the deep effects until the Mutron 2 in the second half .
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=485905004

Josh