Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zoom Ultra Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Anyone tried one of these puppies out on bass yet? Fuzz can be great not only for it's psuedo-vintage rock vibe but for the many cool ways you can cop fat synth-orientated dub bass lines. Any info out there...or heck; what's your favourite fuzz? (Not OD, distortion.....furze!!)

[​IMG]

2. Well, is this thread on fire or what?! I know Zoom has a less than exotic history w/ stompboxes but this one looks cool..? Resonance....gate; these things can be used for fat and rippely analog synth tones. Forget your freaky-bad SYB-3; digital is CREEPY. A good fuzz, octaver and envelope filter can get you everywhere! Digital is a lie. Unclean...despair all ye enter that unholy realm whose denziens quote the dogma of "pristine reproduction"... "modelling"..."high bitrate". You can't "gild a turd". Close your ears and avert thine eyes! Digital is not what it seems. l i t t l e snapshots of your art...only segments and portions of the whole picture; like looking through a screen door. Fuzzy, warm, buzzy and rippely analog livin'....purity and truth, the only one true way.

3. Anyone tried one of these yet? At all? Anything...?

4. Hmmm...anything you might compare it to in tone? How can I hear this thing? I ressurected this thread from almost a year ago. Surprised that not a word has been said about this box...Maybe it is lacking for bass? I need a fuzz that has a deep sound, not one that is of the raspier, thinner style like some.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    What, you don't have a Frantone LoTone?????? :)

I have one and love it.

6. Doesn't the Frantone have a fairly steep roll off for bass? I hear great things but also that it thins out a bit on the bottom....not good. Sweet looking box though!

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've never had a problem with that. And yes, it does make for cool eye candy : )

8. that is good feedback, thanks. I use fuzz by cranking it up then gently touching the strings, dub-style. This way a ordinary fuzz or OD can goose the subharmonics dramatically. This is an old dub-reggae trick and is very "synthy." Sounds like I'll be passing on the Ultra-fuzz....

9. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    hello Madsubwoofer, did you buy the ultra fuzz, like you i'm impressed buy the reviews on harmony central. Someone even said about it "...way cooler than a filter.' or 'produce space sounds or erie melodies'. The only thing why i didn't buy it yet, it is because one reviewer and on the manual of the uf01 they say that the resonance knob won't work well or won't work at all if you play with an active (guitar/bass), have you got infos on this? you or someone else (bassackwards for example). Thank you guys

10. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    They are REALLY LOUD!!!.. And quite buzzy, I like the thing... Actualy quite dub worthy...

Alex

11. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Shin Ei Fuzz Wah - circa 1962

[​IMG]

(4 germanium transistors)

Great shape, I only had to replace 2 resistors, and 2 caps...

:D

Alex