Zoom vsDigitech vs Boss : My Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marcusmiller, Oct 26, 2003.

1. marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    My problem is very specific so i need a specific answer.I got marcus miller jazz bass.
    Also a Sansamp Bass DI box. BUT i need a
    compressor +eq+ chorus + maybe an auto-wah+ octaver would be nice but not necessary.
    loop sampler would be nice as well wiht my sansamp.
    I also hate to carry heavy stuff around so i cant carry my Boss Gt-6B on stage.DAMN HEAVY AND BIG!!!I need a small multi-fx units that i can use in pubs and clubs...direct to PA.
    Do u think the Digitech BP-50 or Zoom BFX708
    or Zoom 506-II would do the job ???
    Or do u think they would ruin my Sansamp DI sound ???
    Buyin them seperately is too expensive and i cant
    deal with cables either.Because i am the main singer of the band at the same time.I dont want much fuss...Please someone help me without being
    a critic.;)
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They can all do the job, it's a question of how well they'll do it.

The bp-50 and 506-ii don't have great effects on them, from my experience.

The Zoom BFX 708 has better effects, but isn't that sturdy for live use (the pedals are plastic). The Digitech BP-200 is pretty sturdy, and about same price as the BFX 708. To my ears it didn't sound as good as the Zoom, but still perfectly good for the price and much better than the BP50.

Or if you can take having something bigger than that (yet smaller than the GT6B), there's the Digitech BP8. It's been discontinued, but in my experience it's the best multi fx there's been for bass.
  3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The Zoom BFX708 did me just fine for three years. I used it live three night a week. I had to re-solder the in and out jacks twice so it is a bit flimsy for live use. The thing is ok by itself but when you mix in drunk people stepping all over your stuff then the thing becomes less than sturdy. I am using the V-Amp Pro now because I wanted something rack mount. I still think I like the BFX708 better as far as effects go. I do think the BFX sucked a little bit of my tone at times but I probably could have worked around it by tweeking.
  4. Deep Pockets

Deep Pockets

Oct 28, 2003
    I have an ART Nightbass I bought at a pawnshop for $400, and a foot controller for another $75. ART e-mailed me the manual, so now I can tap the potential of this discontinued but very versatile efx unit. I have not been an efx type of bassist until now, but I'm hoping all the new sounds will inspire some new ideas. In the past, whenever I've tried an effect, I wind up on a gig without it, and the bass just sounds bigger and deeper without it. So I don't bother with it. The nightbass has an efx crossover, so I'm anticipating being able to use some efx without diluting the low end.
    Are you using efx as a part of your overall sound, or just for soloing?
  5. marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    i need a compressor and a chorus for the overall sound. for solos synth and wah and octaver would be nice...