1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zvex Box of Metal (Vexter series): sound clips and such

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Smurf-o-Deth, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    To make it more obvious for casual browsers, here are the clips from my recent "guess the dirt" thread. I recorded these clips with my Stingray HS, into my FEA Dual Band comp set up for evenness as well as a shelving boost below 220 Hz (or so), then into the Box of Metal, then into a firewire interface, then Garage Band, and now through your speakers.

This clip was the teaser. I had the Stingray's humbucker soloed in this clip, and the EQ and gain of the BoM were set to noon with the gate was off.

This second clip was done with my HS Stingray set up the way I prefer (position 4 on the selector switch), then into the Box of Metal with Bass at 3 o'clock, mids at 1:30, and treble rolled off, gain is at 3:45, gate is on and is at its loosest. I played clean first, then with the Box of Metal. I also stomped off the gate at the end to let the note sustain and to show the silent switching.

And this third clip was done using my FEA Dual Band comp as a crossover, sending the frequencies above the crossover point to the BoM, the frequencies below around the BoM, then both went into my X-Blender, using it as a mixer. First clean, then the same settings as above, but with the frequencies below 220 Hz (or so) left clean. Then, I ran the crossover frequency from 80 Hz up to 1k Hz and back down again. Finally, I did the same thing, but with the lows totally bypassed, so all you hear are the frequencies above the crossover point being distorted. For the rolling crossover parts, I left the gate off, since it would choke off the notes at the highest end of the crossover.

2. Sounds pretty good to me. Cheers for the clips!