Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zvex Fuzz Factory mixed with clean signal [sound clip]

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psi, Dec 7, 2005.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
  2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Oh, yeah, I love this sound !!!!!! :D

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sounds interesting.

4. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    thats sounds amazing! is tha better than the mamoth? is the gate stronger on this than on the mammoth, i really like a gated fuzz sound to mix with an auto wah, anyone know both these pedals? or even can compare their mammoth to this amazing sound?

5. Sounds pretty similar to the mammoth IMO. I really like the clean and dirty blended. The gate (pinch) on the mammoth can be very extreme like this is you turn it up.

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    By the way, I used an active bass on this recording. The Mammoth sounded sorta crappy when I used it with an active bass.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. That's just what I'm thinking...

I might like this BETTER than what I've heard of the Mammoth (and I LOVE what I've heard!). A part of that sample (thanks, Psi!) sounds like a part in the middle of the song 'Gold-digger' that's popular now - every time I hear the song, I've thought "I'd love to get that sound on my bass! Naww - it probably has to be a synth to do that."

Hey, Psi: are you sure that there's clean mixed-in? I listen pretty carefully (on crappy speakers), and can't really hear the clean; I'd think that on some of those abrupt (and very-cool) squelched stops, I would have been able to hear SOME 'residual' sound from the cean signal! What method did you use to mix the two signals for this recording?

Sounds great, though...

Joe

8. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey

Joe, it's an A/B mix from a Boss LS-2 w/ some slight compression afterwards. If I wasn't muting the notes, you'd hear the fuzz factory crackle out and the clean bass sustain for a bit longer.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just, why would anyone want to sound like that ? :)
    I mean, when you're done kidding with it on forums and in your room, do you have practical uses for it ? In which style ?

10. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I play in a band where there is only a guitar player. This player is allways ok to leave me more space. So I found ways to use weird sounds like that.

Here, we still got the low end, if you play a bassline with this sound, the guitar player can make some solos on top of this.

But you know this...

I presonnaly would find more use of this than a whammy or a reverb.

11. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I've found that I only like the sound of a fuzz pedal on higher octave notes. (Granted I dont have a mammoth....but i do want one) But I cannot stand to play anything before the 12th fret when I have my fuzz going. It just turns to a huge warbling crap sound to me.
    I'll take my Tube Factor and POG when it comes to filling up sound waves, but I like being able to distinguish which notes I'm playing....

No offence to anyone who digs this sound, just not my thing.

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Me too.
    Just last night I was playing Jungle Love with the horn-band. I was playing it way-down at LOW "C-D-F-D, C-D-F-D..." using my most radical distortion tone (just on the chorus - "oh-wee oh-wee oh!), and thinking what a killer tone I have way down there!

CS-3 to Bass Exciter to ODB-3 - all in the loop of an NS-2 Noise Supressor. Synthy, yet splattery; Rawcous, yet controlled. Oh yeah...
    If I just had a POG now, I'd rule the world. ...Well OK, a POG and a Fuzz Factory. ...Well - maybe a couple more things.

Joe

13. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    For the record I should I have pointed out that I usualy play using chords, rarley hold out single notes too long, or play at a slower tempo that would alow the Fuzz to properly ring out
    (not that jungle love is all that slow, but it has a heavy groove that doesnt get easily lost in the fuzz)

14. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    bootsy collins did for most of the 70s, hes got to be one of the most famous bassists on the planet, so i think you need to widen your listening skills a bit ;)
    music doesn't start with Greenday and end with Blink 182 :D

15. Jazz Ad

* checks CD collection *

Sorry sir, can't find any record in which Lord Bootzilla sounds like a gargling buzzer. Do you have a specific tune in mind ?

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    No, but they're worthwhile stops along the way.

17. Jazz Ad

I will only make a kick pee stop along the side of the highway for Blink though. :)

18. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    im talking about the use of fuzz in general, he combined it with his mutron to get key sounds but he also has **** loads of recordings with really dirty fuzz bass, you jus need to go and buy some of his albums, for example checkout the most famous one, Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove theres loads of fuzz on that.
    if you thought that was over the top you need to listen to some live recordings of his, then you'll learn how to use a really fuzzy tone on your slab.

19. Jazz Ad

I know Bootsy's set of tones. He doesn't sound anything like this, always keeps massive amounts of lows to drive the band.
    I also have loads of dirty fuzz available on my pedalboard.

I just question the practical use of such tone. I can't think of any.
    So I wonder what psi will come up with. :)

20. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    The NYC Avante-gard scene embraces such (and really any) sound with open arms.