1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zvex Woolly Mammoth + active basses

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by B.C., Sep 17, 2008.

1. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Hey guys,
    I have been in contact with Zach Vex about the Woolly Mammoth
    and active basses. Here is what he said:

Hi Brandon,

I think you can effectively use the Woolly with a passive bass using a moderately high pot wired as a volume control to reduce the volume and increase impedance. Or, you can put a series resistor in line with the signal. Either of these could be soldered into the enclosure at the input to the circuit board. I can forward your email to Chuck Zwicky and if he has time he might write to you with suggestions.

I also have some mods I can do as well. Just so everyone knows.

2. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    just an alternative suggestion you could try:

put a reamp box before the mammoth...

3. Or use something like a MI Audio Boost 'n' Buff

4. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Ah, sorry, forgot to post the context we were talking. We were speaking of internal mods, something to the extent of mod it and forget it.:smug:

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I would still own a Mammoth if it worked with active basses, without any external help.

6. You could add an active-passive switch that would put a resistor in series for active.
    Or place a pot in series to dial in from low to high inputs.

MM