1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

zvex wooly mammoth and fuzz factory

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by roflol, Sep 15, 2008.

1. realllly expensive fuzz face clones, am i the only one who thinks that zvex as a whole don't live up to the hype and prices and think its immoral to charge £200 for a fuzz face clone? on a side note i never thought that pogs would actually track THAT good

2. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Immoral? No, that IMHO is the beauty of the free market. Zach Vex, whether you like him or not, makes unique products, and because of that, he is able to make money. Everybody has their own opinion though. :)

Just so you know, you might want to tread softly as this may be a restricted topic(having a thread to openly criticize a manufacturer.)

Cheers. :)

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I understand what you're saying roflol, but take not that you're paying for a well-made pedal, small enclosure, a ridiculous paint job, high quality switches (ZVex uses custom-made switches) and other parts, a guarantee of the quality of your purchase, the people who work on the pedal, and the name. The distributors do the markup after they buy from ZVex, too, so it's not just ZVex.

I can't afford one of his pedals, but if I could, the Super Duper 2-in-1 would be on my jawnz.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also, FWIW his prices have been discussed ad nauseum throughout the effects pedals world, including on Zack's own forum, and the bottom line is that (a) he can charge whatever he wants and the market will bear it or not, and (b) it really is that expensive to run that business as a full-time career at such high quality levels. Therefore it is not at all immoral, and in fact the only thing wrong with his prices is the whining from people who want his pedals but can't afford them. It's just like the incessant whining about prices of Rickenbackers and Foderas- boo effing hoo.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    If people stopped buying his pedals then yes, they are too expensive. Even if that did happen, it still wouldn't be immoral.

6. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    they are high quality pedals and have unique features that are not on many pedals at all. while i do not personally own any zvex pedals and probably won't buy one cause it is not what i am looking for, i do agree he should charge whatever he wants. if you think you can up one him, by all means, go for it.

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Quick ot question: is the fuzz factory gated like the wooly mammoth?

8. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It can get very gated.

9. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    fuzz face clone - that´s what it has started as (zvex told so in an interview), but the final product that the fuzz factory is, is something entirely different... the woolly mammoth isn´t his design, btw.

he can charge whatever he wants to, if it´s worth to YOU only you can decide. but please, if you decide it´s not worth it, don´t go bashing the company.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Imo, the Fuzz Factory is unlike any fuzz pedal I've ever heard, and it has alot of tweakability. Greatness.

11. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    How well did you think it got along with bass?

12. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    no low end would be you answer joshC

13. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    For all those three questions, yes - you could well be the only one who thinks that. :D

Unlike other people who recycle tube-screamer-based designs ad-nauseam, ZVex actually offers some originality and his stuff sounds good (IMHO, of course).

14. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe when I get around to getting one I'll tweak it so it doesn't lose the fundamental/low-end. Either a blend knob or a RC filter change should do the trick.

15. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Or you could use an RCL method as well. I'm doing that when I get the Mamrmoth as well so active basses will also work. Should allow for some more low end as well in the Fuzz Factory I believe.

16. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Let us know how that goes. I was referring to FF by the way. I liked the WM but not at the price the shop was asking for a USED one.

17. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Yeah, I can't afford it either, but I will own both(I'm a guitar player as well.) Here is the circuit for the LCR for ya.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

Choosing the right capacitor(I believe to ground) will improve bass responce.

18. i own the ringtone and tremorama- both of which are interesting pedals- very fun to play with. pretty graphics- excellent quality- small footprint (HUGE plus in my book)- and the 8 stage deal is pretty unique.

however- taking a step back- i realize i spent what id consider a lot of cash on 2 pedals i used a lot the first couple of weeks i had them- and then rarely once the novelty wore off. i cant say theyre not worth the money- because ive paid more for other pedals- and just happen to use those more than the zvex units.

i will say that for the price i find it absurd that the 9v boss adapter plate is an additional cost- and that IME- theyre a pain to find in stock. however- i will gladly shell out the cash once the ooh/seek wah tap tempo comes out- even if i turn around and sell it shortly thereafter. it just looks like a lot of fun. cant fault zvex on quality and originality.

19. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    how's the ringtone at keeping your low end?

20. the ringtone is my first/only/probably last ring modulator- so i have no basis for comparison- but as far as low end loss- its definitely noticeable. how noticeable depends where you have the frequency set- some are better/worse than others. its also not very tweakable- which makes it a bit less bass friendly.

i found one really cool use for it- which was bass>eq>envelope>ringtone>envelope. sounds like youre playing through water. the settings on the 2nd envelope filter boost the bass up to where id like it- but i cant find a single use for the ringtone on its own.