zvex wooly mammoth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jul 27, 2001.

1. I never stop hearing good things about this... can anyone give me their opinions of it, if its noisy, true bypass, how it sounds yada yada yada.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    All ZVex effects are true bypass. THe WM has a sort of noise gate so it is not noisy. The bass response is awesome. Its a fuzz not overdrive so it wont do KT88's on heat (actually overdrive pedals dont either but thats another story).

Downside (we talked about this on another thread sorry I missed this one) is thats its very expensive and dirt IMHO is not that useful for bass (not if it cost you 250 and you use it on one song.
  3. Well I'm looking for a bass overdrive that doesn't destroy my tone. I'll look into the Ibanez Phat-Hed.

Oh, and is it possible to modify a pedal to make it true bypass?
  4. On the contrary....dirt is extremely useful for bass. I for one crank up my Prunes +Custard and play very softly for a moog synth, subharmonic square wave effect, it is also not unlike having an octaver. It doesn't have to be over the top distortion....use it for fattening things up if you like.
  5. The Mammoth doesn't destroy the tone of a bass.. in my opinion it is the most natural, organic sounding fuzz I've ever tried.
  6. irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    has too much gas
    im on a search for a ncie bass fuzz. pretty hard to find the mammoth in my part of the world, but is see the fuzz factory often enough. well. still once in a blue moon. how does the fuzz factory stack up against the mammoth?
  7. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    -1 I have to disagree. Every bass I played through the mammoth sounded exactly like a mammoth to me. Dingwall 5 string = mammoth. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz = mammoth. It's a one trick pony, and if you like the trick, then it's great.

I've owned a few expensive pedals, and I know things aren't going well with a particular one when every time I stop on it all I can think is... "hrm, I could get X bucks for this". That's what happened to my mammoth.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Same here, exactly. But note that this thread is from seven years ago, resurrected by irvinz expressly to ask how the Mammoth compares to the Fuzz Factory. I never tried the Fuzz factory myself, and I actually don't recall any comments about it here in the forum! Maybe Deek has some thoughts on the subject.
  9. irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    has too much gas
    wowzers. i didnt realise 2001 was that long ago. lol. i hear lots of good things on the fuzz factory from six measly stringers. but quite the opposite from bassists on the mammoth. i'll get around to try the fuzz factory on the bass and let ya'll know how it turns out hopefully
  10. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Don't get me wrong, I love the mammoth... just not $250-$300 worth of love. If it was around $100, I'd keep likely keep it around.
  11. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Man get me my chainsaw there is a zombie thread walking about here
  12. kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I can't believe a 7 year old thread got resurrected. Someone took the search command to the extreme!
  13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love fuzz and still find this pedal worthless. Probably one of the most overrated units around.
    It's great to make funny noises but not music.
    As for respecting the tone of the instrument, it couldn't be further from my experience.
  14. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Washington DC
    I ain't got paid to play in months
    Funny, I'm reading World War Z. Maybe the zombie virus started in the forums... :bag:

Erhm, that said the question that resurrected ye olde thread was a question of comparison between the Fuzz Factory and the Wooly Mammoth. I tried them both a while ago and I liked the FF better because of how much crazier you could get it and didn't really test for anything else.
  15. irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    has too much gas
    my bad. lol. i'll get a mates ff over and see how much low end loss existing
  16. thejoey57

Jan 18, 2006
    The WM was never advertised to keep the original bass tone, so you can't hold that against it, and if you want to keep your tone get a blend pedal

I own one and love it, but it works with my style of music and other pedal combinations
  17. kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I recnetly got an MXR Blowtorch, and have gotten the same tone from it, for 1/3 of the cost...

I want a WM, but I can fake it for now...
  18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    As I've mentioned in numerous other threads about the WM, I found the tone to be very sterile and industrial with a crap-load of bottom end. As others have mentioned, it's a one-trick-pony that does its trick very well. If you like that sound, then the WM is excellent (if you can stmache the price). If you're looking for warm and organic, the WM ain't it.

Compliments to irvinz for actually using the search function. :)
  19. Android

Jan 9, 2008
    I was really leery about dropping the coin on a WM. I was looking for a great and versatile bass distortion that didn't cut out the bottom and squeel like hell like my George Dennis Distorted Mind Rock did. I found everything I was looking for in the Mammoth. It gives plenty of bottom end to the tone and doesn't muddy up the signal at all. It's definitely worth the money, and has become a staple part of my live gear.