1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zyex to Evah Pirazzi

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BassiklyAC, May 8, 2018.

1. It’s been over two years and it’s time to put on some new strings. I’ve been a happy Zyex user for some time but open to trying the EP strings.

Looking for some input from players who’ve made that specific move; either Zyex>EP or EP>Zyex.

Was it a move up? Down? A lateral move that traded one positive or negative for another?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks cats!
    Adam

2. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I’m interested in seeing what people think about the topic also. I’m currently using EP. I used to use dominants. That was tough...

3. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    Evah Pirazzi are darker and nicer under the bow (compared to Zyex), but don't have the punchy sound of Spirocores. Zyex are closer in sound and feel to Spiros or Helicores.

Steve Boisen and geoffbassist like this.
  4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I've tried both sets and this is an accurate assessment. The Evah Pirazi Weich set was dark, but with good sustain and a percussive click to the front of the note that was pleasing. I enjoyed them, but after a year or so I felt the pizzicato sound was a bit dull for jazz playing. When I switched to Zyex lights there was a noticeable increase in punch and more character to the pizzicato sound, but the trade-off was an uneven response under the bow. Even after nearly a year of regular playing, it was still hard to get a consistent arco sound from the lower strings. In retrospect I'd probably try Evah Pirazzi Weich again someday, but not Zyex.

FWIW I currently have Spirocore 3/4 lights on my carved bass and Obligatos on my hybrid.

- Steve

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    geoffbassist likes this.
  5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I've been using Zyex Lights on both my basses for 3 years now. I played the Evah Weichs for about a year, but grew tired of the dark, one dimensional sound for pizz. The Zyex aren't perfect, bowable but inconsistent for me, but they are colorful and rich sounding. They are also very easy on the hands. They have not marked my fingerboards.

6. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    I played EP Weichs first, but they felt very stiff on my bass and switched to Zyex Lights (partly because of recomendation of Mr. Hochberg). They were a big improvement, but the G-string was very nasal starting from the D on...

7. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I tried Zyex Lights a few years ago, but remember I had a wolf tone or something, so I went back to Corelli 370 (I’ve tried all gauges M-F-TX) and Belcantos for the last few years on my carved bass. (I use Spiro Weich on my plywood bass.). I recently picked up a set of used Zyex lights with a medium E, and I also have a brand new set of EP Weichs to try. I’m waiting on a new tailpiece to put them on, but I might sell them first because I’m not sure I’m going to love either of them. I’m actually considering a mixed set with Obligato D and G and Spiro E and A. Experimenting to find the best sound/feel for me. I don’t care for really heavy/tight strings, and I do want some clarity.

8. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    If you're an Arco first guy, Evahs. Pizz first, Zyex light. 50/50? I'd go with Evahs. They pizz better than the Zyex bow.

9. Thanks for the informative replies!

Well, for a goof, I put on a set of medium gauge Helicore Hybrids I had sitting around from a few years back. Still in very good condition. Took some alcohol and cleaned off some remaining rosin residue. You know what?; I’m digging it! Kind of a new “old school” 90’s vibe before cats started striving for a vintage tone and going down the synthetic core route.

Nice to have some top end back along with sustain & growl.

Always fun.

Tom Lane, geoffbassist and lrhbass like this.
  10. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    I tried the HH med. also, with great results on one of my instruments. Happy with the results so far...

Sam Dingle likes this.
  11. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    I went from EP weich to Zyex lights several months ago. The EP strings get dark quickly, and it is harder to hear my pitch. I don't really like them. The zyex have been on since winter, and still have good growl and sustain even after lots of recent sweaty outdoor gigs. I like them a lot and will probably buy them again when the time comes. I haven't noticed any issues with the quality of the zyex, and I bought a used set here on TB.
    I play mostly jazz, and maybe play arco gigs several times a year. They work alright for arco. Not the greatest, but not terrible.
    People talk about the percussive attack of Evahs, and I get the same percussive attack on Zyex lights. That coupled with the growl makes these my favorite that I have tried in a while.

12. kento

kento

Dec 12, 2012
    white plains.
    I have tried both mid and light sets.
    I cant say which is better but if you want darker sound, you probably should go for Evahs.
    If you want brighter steel strings like sound, you probably should go for Zyex.

Evahs are well balanced to me. Its very easy to play when you choose a right gauge.
    I feel A and E strings are loose comparing to G and D on zyex.
    I would not say A and E are horrible but, it is not well balanced. Just too loose.
    I currently using Zyex light on G and D and HH mid on A and E. They feel really nice.

13. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I agree with Kento about the Zyex E and A.

I bought a full set of Zyex medium, but now use Spirocore medium E and A over the Zyex D and G. The Zyex E and A were too loose on my bass.