ZZ TOP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by juancaminos, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Saw ZZ Top tonight. They were a bit off. Dusty was doing a lot of singing, Billy's voice was hard to hear. Still cool beans though.

OldDog52 likes this.
  2. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    They did a tour in Oz around 15 years ago which was reported to be an absolute shocker. A very good sound tech friend went and actually walked out before the end. It was being called the ZZ-Flop tour.

3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    The last time i saw ZZ Top they were touring behind Rhythmeen. It was a simple setup, a four wide two story stack of Orange cabs on either side of the drum riser. I never saw any bass amp(s) and Billy was playing through a tiny old tweed Champ mounted on a small wheeled cart with a bunch of stomp boxes mounted to a pole also attached to the cart,behind the amp and then run through the bigazz stack.
    Unfortunately it was an awful night for the sound crew and all anyone heard once the show started was white noise. I didn’t stay to see the end.

4. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    We saw them back in the late 80's, with the synth tracks and all, and they were great! Not really loud compared to the Stones, Living Colour, SRV,and many others.

5. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Saw them open for the Stones at the old Texas Stadium. Pretty good show, horrible acoustics......

6. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    They are getting old, in age. Thus, things will never be the same as they were years ago. It's the sad truth of life. And it will happen to all of us who are lucky enough to make that far in life.

With that said, I've seen some performances in the past 2 to 3 years with Billy and the BFGs, and he was still awesome. Different style, different groove than the hits of the 80s, but still maintains his signature fat humbucker guitar mojo. Something the masses of players will never achieve in their lifetime.

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Count myself as very fortunate to see them when they drove from Texas in a van to open a show at New Orleans "The Warehouse".
    IIRC, it was ZZ Top, Captain Beyond, and Wishbone Ash...ALL at their absolute best.
    May have been this show:
    Warehouse WB CaptBeyond.jpg

8. Glad to have seen the '80 and '82 tours.

I question how much is actually being played live these days, judging by recent video I've seen.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021