ZZ Top

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blue4, Mar 25, 2021.

1. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I'm watching this documentary on Netflix about ZZ Top. It's a mix of interviews, footage and the band playing live in a garage type building.

First, DH and BG have these awesome matching guitars. They are the color of an old red barn. Never seen anything quite like it.

Second, DH has this fantastic, overdriven tone going on that I really really like.

Third Frank Beard is criminally underrated.

Great documentary

2. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Those songs they recorded in the studio for that doc sounded REALLY good! I might have to go re-watch that now, it's been awhile.

Goatrope, Erasmusman and blue4 like this.
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Pretty good doc and always great to see that lil' ol' band from Texas. But I felt they really kept the viewer at arms length. Not too surprising since they've always seemed to have the "persona" side of their personalities. Great to see them still rockin'.

biguglyman and blue4 like this.
  4. Backwards

Backwards

Dec 11, 2020
    After 50 years together, I guess you can say that they’ve got it dialed in.
    Pretty refreshing to not have let their egos drive them apart after all this time.

Goatrope and Erasmusman like this.
  5. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    That building where, I believe, that was recorded is the oldest dance hall in Texas- Gruene Hall just outside New Braunfels. I've been there many times since the owners of Gruene (the town) purchased the entire town, dance hall included- in 1975. It is entirely of wood construction, floor included, and has very good sound. No air conditioning that I know of, but the sides fold up and they used to run gigantic fans on either side of the stage. And yep, Frank Beard is highly underrated. ZZ Top is one of the primary reasons I first came to Texas-on a dare- in 1973 and ended up here with the family in 1997. Playing Gruene Hall is right there at the top of my bucket list along with this venue 40 miles east of Gruene...
    IMG_1254.JPG

Here's a shot of the last show I attended, pre-COVID, at Guene Hall in 2019

IMG_1555.JPG

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  6. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    My wife's first cousin married a girl I have known all her life.
    Her mom is from Texas, dad is from here (NC).
    They meet when her dad was in the army and stationed in TX.
    Her mom heard us talking about ZZ Top one day and said she remembered them.
    When asked about it ......
    ZZ Top played way back when at the local skating rink several times!!!
    Then they would travel to see them at other places around middle-of-nowhere-TX.
    When I watched the documentary, I was seeing places I recognized her mom talking about.

Goatrope, blue4 and yodedude2 like this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    The only new thing I learned from this doc was the depths of Frank’s heroin addiction.

But definitely worth watching.

Goatrope likes this.
  8. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    watched that last night, enjoyed it very much. That bass was badass, would love a 5 string version

blue4 and Goatrope like this.
  9. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    There was a Rig Rundown that explained those matching guitars.

blue4 and 2saddleslab like this.
  10. Is it weird that Frank Beard is the only one without a long beard?:rolleyes:

Billyzoom likes this.
  11. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Equally weird that Dusty is the only one who looks to have recently showered.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021