ZZTOP OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MonsterBass101, Jun 9, 2008.

1. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Dude I saw ZZTop Last night and OMG they are so much better live than on any of their albums. Dusty was insane unlike the album where he plays 8th notes through the song:D:D:D Has anyone else seen them live and if you have do you agree?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I saw them in 1980 after they had come back from a 3 year layoff. Their previous tour was the Tejas tour with the bison and the tumbleweeds and the rattlesnakes. The next tour tour it was nothing except them, and it was one of my top 5 concerts. They are nothing short of great live.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Caught them at the LA Forum with Jeff Healy band opening. Great show on both counts.

4. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Yea. Listening to the recordings, and being a bass player i was listening for the bass, and it was hard to find. I never knew he had that fuzz sound. But yea for being that old they rock!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    How dare you! Us old farts will kick your butts! ;) :bassist: :D

6. ZZ Tops are hot, no doubt. "Jesus Just Left Chicago" and "La Grange" are truly spectacular songs.

I have to admit I used to scoff at them, I thought they were kind of a joke. The big beards and the cheesy videos led me to that conclusion. But when my friend finally convinced me to sit down and give them a listen, I was blown away. The first three albums especially are some of the hottest, heaviest blues I've ever heard!

7. apparently he didn't play on Eliminator (and presumably Afterburner too)- engineer Terry Manning did, as they were going for a particularly simple, commercial sound (the drums were programmed too).

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    How can you mention "Jesus Just Left Chicago" without putting "Waitin' For The Bus" in front of it? You can't play one without the other, man! Shame on you. ;)

I saw them on the Afterburner tour. We had crappy seats, but it was a great show.

9. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Really?! No wonder I hate those records....

Now "Precious & Grace"....THERE'S a song!

10. seen em a bunch of times. great live show. they are just so damn cool.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Terry Manning...sheesh! The guy produces some of the best George Thorogood albums of his career, then he ruins ZZ Top with all this programming. I totally blame Afterburner and Eliminator for ruining ZZ Top's career. They were so locked into the 80's thing that they couldn't go back to the cool sound that brought them to the game when they wanted to.

12. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I saw them back in 71 and 72 when they were really just a kickass rock-blues band.They weren't real well known outside of Texas but it didn't take long for the rest of the country to find out how damn good they really were.Still a couple of the best shows I've seen.I couldn't hear for 3 days.:D

13. GeddyFlea1974

GeddyFlea1974

Feb 11, 2007
    Alabama
    Saw them in Birmingham last week. They were nothing short of amazing... Billy Gibbons is hilarious, and Dusty is a lot better than I assumed he was by listening to the albums. I want to see them again. It was one of those shows where you just feel right at home... hard to explain. I was a bit skeptical about them from some of their more radio-friendly songs, but they dragged out a lot of older stuff. Consider me a fan now :)

14. bluevoodoo

bluevoodoo

Dec 15, 2007
    minneapolis
    Of coase he is going to be conservative on the album. Why would you go see a band like ZZ top live if they sounded exactly the same as the album? These guys shred every time they step on the stage.

15. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Does Dusty play all his parts live, or are they tracked? Also looking for some info on their stage/live setups - it's so amazing to see these guys on these monster stages with a pair of tiny cabinets on either side of the drum rig.

Lonnybass

16. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    RIP Jeff Healey.

Long live ZZ Top.

17. Terry Manning talks about ZZ Top sessions here-
    http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/3849/0/

on page 2 he covers Eliminator;
    "The bass was mostly played either by Billy or by me, and was either a bass instrument, or a Moog Source (the Source was a Mini Moog [rhymes with 'Vouge'] analogue synth with digitally controlled parameters...I still have this, too). "

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It takes a really great band for me to forgive them for a song like "Rough Boys". ZZ managed to work themselves back into my heart, even after a turkey like that - no small feat.

19. ZZ Top are great! Sharp Dressed Man has one of my favorite recorded guitar solos of all time. :bassist:

Did anybody see the King of the Hill episode where Dusty Hill is Hanks brother?

20. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    They are Houston's finest!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021