ZZTOP OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MonsterBass101, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    I saw them last year at the first Rock on the Range festival. Got to pretty much put my chin on the stage for most of it.

Dusty had a bandaid on his right middle finger that he ripped of with his teeth while playing because it was annoying. Of course, he never missed a note.

They are one of the definitions of "Cool."

2. svenbass

svenbass

Dec 12, 2002
    Boston
    +1 to ZZ Top - great band, and Dusty can lay it down with the best. I even like listening to the sythy stuff from the 80's. FWIW, those records / vid's made them a gazillion dollars and I can't argue with that, but the down and dirty trio stuff is where it's at.

I believe Jimi Hendrix once said Billy Gibbons was his favorite guitar player. I can't back it up, but I've heard this a few times in different conversations.

3. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    [​IMG]

You Wish you could make this **** look cool

ZZ Top is badass

4. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I love them too...but still my favorite records by them are Rio Grande Mud and Tres Hombres...

5. i used to think that the top were a joke and then i found a tape of their first album belonging to my uncle and realised how awesome they were!

how about a "used to think zz-top were a bunch of idiots and then discovered they rock" club?:hyper:

6. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    I saw them in Tacoma on the recycler tour. Jeff healy was with them. I have been dying to see them again. I really dig them.

7. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    :) I'm in!

8. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    IMO, you need to listen to their first 3 albums to hear the real ZZ Top.

9. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Only 200 times.

I worked for Showco (old production company bought out by Clair Brothers several years ago) from '82 to '87. I was assigned to ZZ for the Afterburner tour to mix monitors.

From July '85 to March '87: Donnington-Ireland-Canada-140 shows in the US-Europe-Japan-Australia-New Zealand-Hawaii (Stevie Ray and Run DMC opened that last show).

What a blast.

10. in one of his instructional videos Billy Sheehan says he got the idea for tapping from seeing Billy Gibbons use it once - bending a string up then tapping a higher note.

Rolling Stone didn't include him in their top 100 guitarists list- I tend to agree with Zakk Wylde's appraisal of them....

11. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

I'd add Fandago (4th live) and some of their newer stuff like Rhythmeen where they go back to their roots.

12. Aw man bro, I cut my adolescent musical teeth on those three albums. Now, my 7 yr old really DIGS Dusty's fuzz bass on the Mescalero CD.

13. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    yeah, i often get snickers or funny looks when i tell someone that zz top is one of my favorite bands--but it's a good tell that the person hasn't ever heard anything but 'legs' on the radio:)

...and yes, i've read a few accounts of hendrix naming the reverend as his favorite guitar player--he even tried to get billy to change the name of his band from 'the moving sidewalks' to 'the electric sidewalks'

zz top is one of the best examples of how good 3 chords and some attitude can sound

14. Rockthesnakepit

Rockthesnakepit

Dec 11, 2006
    i saw that little ol band from texas bout a year ago in austin at the backyard (outdoor venue). One of the best shows ive seen, so cool and smooth. those guys still know how to have fun at a show, great concert

15. jmcgliss

jmcgliss

Apr 30, 2007
    Chicago
    I saw them during this period also. Kickass. I was *very* distracted by my date that evening, though.

16. Ah, that's what rock and roll is all about bro!

17. The new Live From Texas DVd is nothing short of miraculous, tho' the bass is mixed too low and I smell a sequencer on 'Legs'.

18. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement

ZZ Top has been my favorite American band since about 1970.
    I love all of their cd's but the older stuff is definitely better as far as I'm concerned. In May of 2003 they came thru this part of the country (Northeast) on tour and stopped at a great semi-outdoor venue called the Tweeter Center. An old friend was their tour manager and my sister, myself and a close mutual friend got in vited to come to the show and we got the "VIP" treatment. Got free VIP passes which allowed us access to anywhere in the venue when the band was playing except on the actual stage. We also got tickets for actual seats about 8 rows from the front dead center. We got to hang in the hospitality room with the crew as much as we wanted and have dinner and actually got to meet Dusty before the show.
    Kenny Wayne Shephard opened the show with Double Trouble as his rhythm section. Double Trouble was excellent but KWS sucked. Ted Nugent was the middle act. We saw KWS from our seats then went back to the hospitality room after his set and saw only a couple of Ted Nugent's numbers form the stage monitor board location but we were not into Ted at all and went back to the room to get dessert and wait for ZZ Top to come on. We started ZZ Top's show from out seats but it was so unbelievably LOUD, even with earplugs, that we had to finish watching the show form the monitor board. It was painfully loud down front. I don't know how anybody that was in those first 30 rows could bear it, really. But the band was tremendous, the show was incredible, and I feel very fortunate that I got to see them. After the show we got to meet Billy, Dusty, and Frank backstage and just shake hands but we weren't alllowed to ask them any questions. But that was OK...I got to shake hands with my heros and that was good enough. I haven't been to any "stadium" shows since.
    )-(

Attached Files:

19. E2daGGurl

E2daGGurl

May 26, 2008
    SoCal
    Is Vouge a word? Does it rhyme with Rouge?

ZZTop is teh bomb. Good ole bass, if you turn the bass knob up on the car stereo. Never get tired of it.

20. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/Builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Been a Top fan since my youth. My very first, real rock and roll album was "Fandango". I had a job in highschool working at the Summit as an usher. Saw lots of show and got paid, but the ones I remember the most was seeing ZZ Top, three nights in a row, for the Deguello tour. I was stationed right up front for all three nights. Dusty Hill's brother's band, Rocky Hill, opened the shows. Rocky's bass player's P-bass burst into flames one night. He was jumping around trying not to catch on fire. He finally got the bass off and threw in on the stage floor. Guys with fire extinguishers came running out.

I also saw ZZ Top again in '81, opening up for the Stones.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021