ZZTOP OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MonsterBass101, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Yeah, I saw them close the Houston Rodeo last year, i think....it was AMAZING =)

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Frank Beard is seriously underappreciated as a drummer. Why they decided they needed to record with drum machines is beyond me... Beard has some of the best time out there, and the drum pattern on "Waiting On the Bus" is just a classic.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    how in the world does a Pbass catch fire????:eek:

4. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Oh, God, Thank you!!! I can't stand Eliminator or Afterburner.

People seem to associate ZZ Top with "Sharp Dressed Man". That song just makes my skin crawl.

I always tell them, "You need to listen to some good ZZ Top. Try, at least, Tres Hombres, Deguelo, or Tejas. Fandango! has some great live stuff. Frank Beard's drum work in "Mellow Down Easy" is just amazing."

Saw them in 1980, also. Excellent show.

5. caramanico1

caramanico1

Dec 21, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Saw them in the late '80s with the Black Crowes opening. Fantastic show - one of those when the Crowes were "on." Nobody sat for three hours, both bands absolutely smoked.

6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    While I prefer the early 70's version of ZZ Top, the drum machines and videos sold them to a whole new generation of fans and made them a whole lot of cash.;)

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/Builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    First there was a little smoke coming from the pickup, then flames came shooting out. Never saw anything like it before or since, except for Ace Frehley's Les Paul, but his was supposed to do that. It was freaky!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021