1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ZZZ noise from my bass... what could it be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AngusHasMoxie, Apr 1, 2013.

1. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    So, I have an SX J bass, with which I tore all the electronics out. All of the pots are Fender OEM, and the pups are Dimarzio super J's. Was playing around with my new rig and I had a buzz that was super annoying. In trying to find it, I eliminated each piece of my rig, and eventually just plugged into a combo amp on the other side of the room. Still buzz.

I've found that if I turn my tone knob to 0, no buzz. It results in a boomy, bassy tone, which while useable, isn't really my style.

Is this something that can be fixed, or is it just a quality of a J bass with a louder rig?

Also, I covered the entire electronics cavity with grounding tape and my solders are good, so I don't think it's a wiring problem.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

You grounded the bridge too, right? Sorry to ask, but it's sometimes overlooked!

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Just out of curiosity, when you covered the cavities with foil, did you then connect the foil to ground? If you didn't, it doesn't do anything.

4. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Agree with above....plus anywhere you overlapped the shielding place a small solder joint to assure it's all connected.

5. AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    I did not. this is probably the cause, since it's a Badass II bridge, so it's a grand ole hunk of metal. I did ground the insulation, so my next question is: How do I ground my bridge? J bass.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

There should be a wire that touches the bridge at one end, and connects to ground in the control cavity.

That's the gist of it. Consider this a bump for a more detailed answer!

7. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    "ZZZ noise from my bass... what could it be?"

It's asleep

8. AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    I'l check it out in the morning. It's an SX, so I wouldn't be surprised if they "forgot" to drill the hole :meh:

9. You're not using a speaker cable for a patch cable, are you?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Doubtful. I'm sure there's a hole, and I'm sure at one time it had a wire going through it.

11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    This.