Low-Wattage Tubesters Official Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R&B, Feb 21, 2013.

1. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues!

Recently, GAS--and the Stupid Deal of the Day--induced me to make an impulse purchase of a truly fantastic piece of gear, namely, the Ashdown LB-30 tube head. I am in love with this little guy. It's the sound in my head! [Pun intended.] :D

After doing a search, I found a very successful Ashdown Club and several other clubs for specific models of amps. I did not find a club dedicated to small all-tube amplifiers.

So, herewith, I submit this humble thread. It's devoted to fans and/or flamers of all-tube heads or combos, let's say less than [DEL]100[/DEL] 50 watts. With your help, we can put this club into overdrive. And I promise not to show bias or get burned out, even if it is hard to stay current with so much on my plate. Dirty business, I know. :bag: Ahem.

If you would like to join, please submit a photo of your little tube amp and request a number. If you're not a joiner, enjoy your visit.

:bassist: SL

2. R&B

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1361504949.307383.jpg LB-30 on day of arrival atop the GK/Acoustic stack.

Nuage420 and javi_bassist like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    [​IMG]

Cool idea for a club. Would like to see what others are doing for low wattage tube rigs.

keyofnight and maestrovert like this.
  4. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    (No pics), but I run an Ashdown LB30 through a 118 cab. It's great

5. The 50 to 100w club takes applications from littler fellows.

6. R&B

Thanks mate! Missed that one, probably because I searched "tube" and not "valve." That thread shows as 28 pages on my smartphone! I would not presume to barge in.

So, let us narrow the focus here to "less than 50 watts" and we'll have a truly tiny corner of the tube/valve market!

Anyone who would like a number, please say so.

7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Allentown, PA!
    Count me in! This also sounds great through a slightly upsized custom-built Schroeder 15+ L.

There's so much talk about how the LB30 presents a reasonable volume alternative to larger tube amps, but dang it if my crotchety neighbor hasn't lodged her first noise complaint since I moved to the nabe. So, guess it ain't as loud as an SVT, but I'm driven to play it louder than my 400RB to reap the benefits! So BEAT IT old woman - come back after 10 p.m. and complain! :bassist:

DSCN3460_zps6e9a5871.jpg

8. R&B

ShowLow #1
    JimmyM #2
    Lowbrow#3
    vickde #4
    LuvMusic #5
    basscooker #6
    Energy #7
    tubenutq5 #8
    James Hart #9
    maestrovert #10
    Warwick Qc418 #11
    s_mcsleazy #12
    72LML #13
    ridethespiral #14
    hennessybass #15
    Deepwoods #16
    BawanaRik #17
    moonshinegtrs #18
    baldy McBalders #19

Welcome to the club! Who's next? :hyper:

9. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    FuzzyBeard really needs to join this club.

10. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt

Jan 22, 2006
    Lowbrow, that looks sweet upon the Bag End's. I am currently tubeless but I'm subscribed!
    So what 'regular' amp put's out similar volume?

11. vickde

vickde

Jul 23, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I'm in. Can I please get a number?

I love the amp. I've been wanting one for a long time but couldn't justify eight bills for it. I'll be gigging it for the first time tomorrow at a small pub, and then Sunday at a birthday party in a church. It was great at rehearsals, we'll see if it can carry the two rooms. I'll have my LMIII in the car, just in case.

rig 1.jpg

12. R&B

JimmyM, fantastic shot of your rig and stringed friends. Details on the amp?

Bisounourse, love to see a pic of that 118 with the LB.

Downunderwonder, thanks again for the heads up.

Lowbrow, I can't believe my neighbors haven't called the cops yet. This thing rocks.

Alex1984, send us members!

emblymouse, thanks for subbing and good on ya.

vickde, see post 10. You're in! And that photo really captures the little beast.

We are not limited to Ashdown owners...come one, come small!

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    As of today I'm rocking a 4 watt all tube head with my nv610 here at home. SWR interstellar overdrive. Sounds great and much louder than you think. Briefly had a Fender 100t, sounded great but crazy loud for my needs and a little too "specific" tonally. The IOD is rad and a nice balance of tonality and fidelity.

neckdive likes this.
  14. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Here's my LB rig. Number please.

IMGP7299.jpg

tshapiro and Nuage420 like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    1964 Ampeg B-15NC head, restored by the inventor Jess Oliver in 2008. I have the original cab he also restored, but the cabs in the picture are replica cabs made by www.vintage-blue.us and www.fliptops.net loaded with Eminence Delta 15a's.

The Ashdown thing is inevitable since they had that closeout.

16. Can I suggest merging this thread with the other one while keeping this thread name, contact Chef.

17. R&B

pickles, please post a photo if you'd like a number. Love to see that rig!

LuvMusic, you are in! See post 10. :D

18. vickde

vickde

Jul 23, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    first gig.jpg

First gig with the LB30 last night in a medium-sized pub. The amp sounded great - plenty of power for my three-piece acoustic blues band. The finger sensitivity of this amp is impressive - dig in and the high notes really sing, play mellow and the low notes are really smooth.

Fender American Special P -> PitchBlack -> MarkBass Compressore -> Little Bastard.

Nuage420 likes this.