Best Chorus Pedal(s)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Prashant, Aug 7, 2000.

1. Prashant

Prashant

Feb 29, 2000
    NJ
    Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a chorus pedal for my fretless, but I am lost in the world of bass effects.

I'm not looking to run a lot of effects, or to use the potential pedal in any extreme fashion. I'd be using this chorus pedal mostly just to fatten/sweeten the tone of my bass.

What are some quality pedals to look into? The final test will, of course, be my ears and information about durability. However, with so many effects manufacturers out there, I don't know where to begin.

Thanks, in advance, for all of your feedback.

- Prashant

P.S. I'm looking to spend under $200...$300 is my limit, unless there is a signifcant improvement in quality to justify a higher cost. Thanks!

2. Bass Case

Bass Case Guest

May 20, 2000
    I own a Boss Chorus and like it a lot. Gives great depth during slow songs. For the money, it's the best IMO. Oh! And it only cost around $70-80. $300 could buy you a lot of effects. If you are willing to spend that much, check out the Bass Pod. It goes for a little over that, but you get 16 effects plus all of the cabinet features. Good luck.
    Eric

torza likes this.
  3. I hear the danelectro cool cat chorus is real good, but im not sure if it will be good for bass, but boss pedals are really good, and DOD are a little cheaper, and arent that bad

4. Prashant

Prashant

Feb 29, 2000
    NJ
    Thanks for the feedback!

I've been snooping around a bit more, and I've heard good things about the EBS UniChorus...does anyone have experience with these? What do you think?

Thanks.

5. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I use the Dano Cool Cat chorus and can't say enough about it. You can usually pick these up for around $70, used $50. Try one out before purchasing something that will cost you over $200. I have also heard good things about the EBS, but those will cost you.

6. Erich Zann

Erich Zann Guest

Aug 14, 2000
    I totally agree. The Cool cat is AWESOME. It's not the best for anything on the E esting, but for the higher stuuf, it's amazing.

7. TC Electronic makes the best chorus, but it is not cheap.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Supporting Member

Have you played your fretless through a chorus? I've tried it, and, amazingly, the chorus effect is pretty much swallowed up by the "mwah" of the bass. I use the same chorus (Boss CEB3, which is great), on my fretted basses, and get a nice, deep chorus effect. I'd say try it before you buy it.

gypsyfelon likes this.
  9. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I am a control freak with effects, I tried many chorus pedals out, and the boss bass chorus is the best. It has both the normal rate and depth, but also a bass sweep knob and a "mix" control. The bass sweep lets you keep the lows clean and only effecting the highs. The mix lets you create some messed up "watery" chorus, and only color your tone with a small amount of it. The only complaint is the constant background noise...but you will have that with most any chorus. I talked the sales man down to $65! :)

10. Since my brother is a guitarist, he has several effects and I often plug into them (when he's not around)... I have to say that the Boss Chorus (CE-3) is really neat for bass... and you can get it for cheap... my brother got it used for $30 (Canadian -- very cheap in American funds). I also liked his digital delay (Boss DD-3)... now that is an excellent sound for bass enthusiasts

11. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    hey, anything by BOSS is awesome! if i were you i would get the BOSS chorus pedal. its awesome. if you are willing to spend some major $$ you should get the digitech BP-8 bass pre-amp processor its cool. but play one before you by it,i've never tried with a fretless

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think the TC Electronics Chorus/Flanger pedal is state-of-the-art, but EXPENSIVE!

I'm just one more happy Danelectro Cool Cat user :)

Great retro look, cool sound, 18V circuit and sturdy construction and it only costs 60-70$ in Germany - can't ask for more IMO :)

13. Stickk

Stickk Guest

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    I like my Boss CE-5.

torza likes this.
  14. I use a Boss Stereo Chorus (I forget the number) and have always been happy with it. Nice sound and like every other Boss pedal, they're built like a tank.

15. I've also tried many different chorus pedals and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Analogman Chorus. My favorite by far. In fact I bought it once and sold it because I didn't need chorus. Then I went through about 5 or 6 other chorus's and finally bought another Analogman.

16. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I had a Boss CEB-3 and I liked it's sound, but found that it didn't have the ability to get very aggressive if needed. Now I'm using a Digitech Chorus Factory and am pretty happy with it. Currently using a combination between deep chorus and flange to add color to some runs up the neck in a few songs, but overall I never have chorus on during an entire song.

Honestly, I could get by without it and probably 'should' and just sell the Chorus Factory.

17. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    I recently bought my first chorus pedal; I use all high-end gear, but because I didn't know if I would really like/use a chorus pedal, I picked up at Behringer for $25 shipped off ebay. Its great! I think it copies the Boss, so I'd pick one up for dirt cheap, and use it for a while to see if chorus is really your sound. I've also heard good things about the Digitech (nice and shimmery/cold for Cure-esque sounds).

18. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I would suggest Carl Martin bass chorus, completely noiseless, nice fat clean chorus, I have only tried this and the boss chorus, Carl Martin hands down, the bad: is quite expensive

Joe Ty likes this.
  19. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    +1

No problem with noise and it has a dual band filter that lets you adjust the effect on highs and lows individually.

torza likes this.
  20. Believe it or not my favorite chorus for bass is the Danelectro FAB chorus. I've tried probably a half dozen or more different ones, even bought one or two and took them all back. For my money ($13.00) you can't beat it.

H