CopilotFX Cubic!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by M Sterling, Aug 6, 2011.

1. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Adam from CopilotFX contacted me a little while ago and asked if I would be interested in testing out and making some clips of a new octave pedal he's been working on, called the Cubic:

file.jpg

It is basically a clean octave down with a volume control, a blend knob to adjust the ratio of clean to octave (expression pedal controllable), a filter to go from clean>slightly hairy (think OC2)>glitchy synth fuzz, an unmarked knob that introduces clipping to the signal (kinda sounds like manually glitching our an OC2 by sending it a super hot signal), and a switch that goes from -1 octave in down position and adds different harmonies in the up position. I haven't messed with the switch too much, yet. I sill be able to better tell what it does after some more time. I will get some clips done tonight and post here with a more in-depth review!

-M

2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Interesting...

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Whoooooooa. Clips, please!!!

4. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    The color and graphic of this pedal are right up my alley. I hope i dont like the sound of it because I'm running out of pedalboard space- and have no funds left

5. M Sterling

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am already planning on replacing one of my OC2's with this bad boy. I promise I will get some clips up by tomorrow morning!!!

6. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    What's up with the all the in/out/expression jacks? I see four jacks there. In, Out, Expression, and ? Looks like a cool pedal. I really like Copilot stuff.

7. I am so interested in hearing clips of this :)

8. The 4th one is the dc power jack

9. I'd be interested in replacing my oc-2 if this sounds fatter. Clips much appreciated!

10. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    Doh!

11. Definitely want to here some clips of this bad boy! Always looking for something to replace my OC-2, but nothing can beat it. Quite curious.

Also, I like your group Sterling. Funky stuff.

12. M Sterling

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks Lenny! Right back at you, I've been diggin on Mouth ever since I subscribed to your "world of effects" thread!

So, I've been getting into this pedal pretty deep tonight, and will have some clips ready by tomorrow. I don't want to spoil anything, but I will just say the unmarked knob should be named FAT...

I also wanted to let you guys know that this is a prototype, so there is a small issue with the balance of the blend and volume that creates some static at certain settings. I've spoken with Adam, and he will be revising and sending out the revision towards the end of the month. He still wants me to post the clips because the sound is not going to change, and he wants to get your feedback (just ignore the static for now). Stay tuned...

13. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Sterlie- if it's not too late can you help us make a comparison of the cube/oc2 by doing a portion of your clip with the oc2- dry/octave 2 off and octave 1 maxed?

14. M Sterling

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey wolffie, yup already planned on it.

I have most of the clips recorded, I just need to finish up and bounce/upload them. The thing that I'm digging the most so far is that it can do the OC2 very convincingly, but then has a lot more tone shaping options beyond that.

15. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    great. already sounds like a winner.

16. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    That's what they said about some of the other newer analog octaves, too, but they never really did. Prove us wrong! :)

17. M Sterling

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Believe me, I am as skeptical as anyone in regards to anything dethroning my OC2 pedals. I haven't done a direct comparison yet, but it's looking pretty good for the Cubic. This is not a decision that I will make lightly, though. Maybe I can justify having 3 (4 if you count the M5) octave pedals on my board.

18. How fast is the tracking? Don't really care if it can track really low (as long as it can go down to an A on the E string). But I love how quick the OC-2 is.

19. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Subscribed...

20. M Sterling

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Same here, which is why I opted for the oc2 over the MXR. The tracking is every bit as fast as the Boss, but definitely feels different. I love the "feel" of the Boss, which is why I will always have one, but this has something else, it's hard to describe. It will track down to the A flat, but you have to finesse it out at that point. Adam said he has already made some adjustments to the tracking so we'll see what's up with the revision. As soon as I can coax the baby into taking a nap (wish I had someone begging me to sleep!!!), I will finish up and post.