Is it possible to wire two pickups in series with two volume controls?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Meddle, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Meddle

Meddle Guest

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Hello all.

I've been pondering this all weekend. In my head I wish to wire a bass with a mudbucker neck pickup and a jazz bridge pickup.

Is it possible to wire it so that the mudbucker is the master pickup and the jazz pickup is blended with it in series. I cannot think of a way to do it, but I am open to suggestions.

2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Yes, this is possible (in different ways).

To get you right ... Do you want ...
    1.) Mudbucker and J both with independant volume control (like a Jazz Bass)?
    2.) A Master volume, the Mudbucker is always 100% on (depending on Master) and the J can beblended to the Mudbucker - so the J can never be played alone?

In my wiring compendium are both solutions.
    If your Mudbucker has only one ground and shielding, the J would have to be blended to HOT (and best would be a grounded copper foil under the J-PU).

First: What do you want? Method 1 or 2?

3. Meddle

Meddle Guest

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Option 1 would be more desirable, but I don't really have a massive need for a solo'd bridge pickup, so having the mudbucker set up in option 2 would also work.

I would need to ground the mudbucker's metal plate seperately or else it would become live when in series and buzz badly...

I'm trying to overcome the issue I've read whereby a J pickup removes all the bass from a mudbucker due to impedance mismatches. :meh:

4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    With TWO Mudbuckers you would indeed need a seperate grounding!
    With one Mudbucker and a conventional J (two seperate wires) you don't need a seperate Mudbucker grounding!

I will make the drawing today - but it might need one or two hours. Have a look at your thread about 6 or 7 o'clock Scottish time. Then you have your pdf ...

It would be best to put a grounded copper foil under the J-PU because it will get HOT from both sides when it is out of work. This copper foil will at least ground the magnets.

I will draw "option 1" for you ...

5. Meddle

Meddle Guest

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Thanks for taking this one. One word of warning though, Scottish Time;

rab-c-nesbitt1.jpg

6. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Here is your wiring diagram ...
    Control by "skilled diagram makers/readers" welcomed!!!

I put a tone control in ...
    If you don't want a tone control, "HOT tip" goes directly to "middle J-pot" (where the yellow wire is). GND always to GND ...

ATTENTION! The housing of the J-PU volume pot is grounded but NONE of the lugs of this pot go to ground (as on normal parallel pots).

This is the same wiring as on 1976 Thunderbird basses.
    Only difference is that I switched the neck and bridge PU, so that the mudbucker (and its housing) is always grounded.

Instead of copper foil under the J-PU other metallic foil might be used. If you don't put a foil under the pole pieces the PU would surely hum when you touch the magnets / pole pieces ...

Attached Files:

7. Meddle

Meddle Guest

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    That is above and beyond the call of duty man. :D

Thank you so much for putting this up! Wonderful clear diagram!

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What program was used to make that diagram?

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    That's kinda the idea! The smaller, thinner bridge pickup "de-muds" the mudbucker as it's brought up in parallel.

Series just adds more mud to the mudbucker.

10. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Thanx maddle! :cool:

I have more than 10 years experiance with CorelDraw (3 to X3) ...

Also my 450 pages wiring compendium and many others (500 pages "Roland Amplifier Trilogy" with ALL Roland guitar, bass keyboard amps from 1972 - and ACE TONE before - until 2012). Available on the German Roland distributor www.bossmusik.de page (I'm not a Roland emloyee but only a fan).

All wiring diagrams are made 100% per hand (using self made pot, pickup, switch, wire +++ graphics) ...
    No "plug and play" for the wiring ...

11. That diagram has been around for a while now. Walterw has posted it a few times.
    JazzBassSeriesWiringDiagram.jpg

I'm not sure if it's going to be a good idea to run a mudbucker in series with a J, because of the impedance differences, but then again, the effect in series is not as great as in parallel, so it could work fine. Let us know how functional it is, after you wire it up.

12. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Yes, this is the "standard" wiring of a 1976 Thunderbird IV bass, converted to a Jazz Bass.

For people "who know what they do" it is no problem to change neck and bridge. A PU with a shielding at the neck makes it a bit complicated for newbies ...

For parallel wiring (like walterw suggested) a normal Jazz Bass diagram can be used (just too add his post) ...

13. Meddle

Meddle Guest

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland

Wow! You have a real talent going on there! Wonderful diagrams; again thanks for posting this one up.

One question though.... would two mudbuckers work out in a jazz bass? What does a mudbucker sound like in the bridge position?