Wiring options for 8 wire (quad coil) humbucker

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Feb 8, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Kramer The Duke with 8 wire humbucker

http://161589.homepagemodules.de/file.php?url=http://files.homepagemodules.de/b161589/f2t29p70n2.pdf -- Thanks Cadfael!

I now have another bass guitar so would like to experiment with my Kramer Duke. I'd like to have as many options as possible along with stereo output. The stereo output could actually even be EA and DG or could be top and bottom portions. Any ideas how to do something like this? Also would like choice of stereo and mono...

I have 2 separate amplifiers for the stereo.

2. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    I could probably write up all the different wiring that I want to do, but would have a very tough time putting them all together to switch between them all...

3. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Problem is that you have still only 4 Output wires - not 8 ...

It is not possible to split the EA and DG coils as brown+yellow gives a "Z" and white+green an "S".
    In German it would be much eaysier to describe ...
    You have "two mirrored P-PUs" (diagonal) an you can't "cut the wire" which connects each of these two pairs. The upper EA is always connected to the lower DG and the lower EA always to the upper DG. There is no way out (without customizing the pickup itself).

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If this is the case, then there are only four choices for switching: P, Humbucker, Humbucker series, and reverse P.

As for sending them to different outputs, have a look around for the Rick-o-Sound diagrams. It sounds like that's precisely what you want.

5. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    What would you use to switch between those options? For stereo could I switch between mono and stereo and also do stereo for normal and reverse P?

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If you can access the pickup, going by Cadfael's book (page 228) you could solder on a "tap" on each green-orange joint. That way you'd have six wires coming out of the pickups, and you could have a neck-J, bridge-J, neck-P, P, reverse-P and HB combinations. As a bonus you could make each P and HB combination work in series or parallel (J would have to remain in series).

However, to get all those combinations out, you'd need a rotary switch with at least four taps.

7. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    I do have 8 full length leads.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Then you can really have any combination of the four coils.

Are there any you want in particular? I'd recommend throwing on some alligator clips and trying out different combinations to see what you like before you go with a switch setup.

For my 8-coil pickup, I used one of the [2 Humbuckers w/ 1 Volume Control & 5-Way Rotary Switch](http://www.guitarelectronics.com/ca...ing_diagrams.2_pickup_guitar_wiring_diagrams/) where Neck(N) corresponds to the Neck(EA) coil and Neck(S) corresponds to the Neck(DG) coil; with the same for the Bridge(N) and Bridge(S).

However, this gives at least one instance of a parallel-P or a parallel-J in every single one, and I wasn't a fan of either of them because of the serious volume drop.

Ideally, I'd think your useful combinations would be series J (neck and bridge), series P, series reverse-P, and humbucker (two series J's in parallel). Unfortunately, I don't think there is any easy switching combination that could give you all of those. In order to do it, it would probably require multiple switches to turn on each coil separately and then other switches to determine series/parallel.

9. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It's doable with a single 4-pole rotary. Will draw and post in the morning.

10. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It took longer than I expected and stated later than I hoped - but here it is.

Quadcoil-switch_zps71711641.png

Click to zoom in. To make it work for the Kramer Duke pickup, make sure you tie the finish of the left coil and start of the right coil together on each side to get the "tap" wire (red and dark yellow).

11. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Thank you! Does this take into consideration the reverse windings?

Something like this I think:
    [N<N][S>S]
    [S>S][N<N]

12. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Also can you point me to some specific parts? I don't want to assume that I will pick the right part:) And by looking at this picture I am supposing there are 8 points on the part and connect the left side as shown and the right side... Also regarding the reverse windings, I am guessing that I could still wire it this way but some of these combinations will give strange results or no results at all...

13. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    That's a good point, I should've marked it somewhere. The magnetic and winding orientation should be:

[N<N][S>S]
    [N<N][S>S]

This makes inline series combinations humcanceling, and cross-row (P-bass series and parallel) combinations humcanceling. The combinations that I'm fairly sure don't work (parallel inlines) in-phase would require that each coil actually have two wires out and a much bigger switch - unless some combinations were taken away so the whole switching "grid" can be minimized.

I'll make you a switching combination with neck-J (series), P (series), MM (parallel), rP (series), bridge-J (series) - that would be, in my opinion, the best combination, and I'll mark the contacts on the switch for you.

All combinations I posted above work and give out some kind of sound - it's just that the "*" ones are probably out of phase (waiting on someone to check) and thus would sound very thin.

14. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    How does out of phase work with stereo? Could I wire my second amp's speaker to work with the out of phase?

15. MrMolding

MrMolding

Oct 26, 2009
    I've been combing the forums to see if anyone has updated the final diagram above. I have a Duke pickup that I want to use with the exact config described by Stealth. Does an updated version of the diagram exist anywhere?

16. WarwickThunder

WarwickThunder

Jun 10, 2013
    Allen, TX
    I made it possible, and beautiful. Using custom Nordstrand MM 5.4 custom, Nordstrand 3b-4b preamp, 2 6 position freeway switches and 2 mini toggle switches.

Attached Files:

JustForSport likes this.
  17. WarwickThunder

WarwickThunder

Jun 10, 2013
    Allen, TX

Attached Files: