Dukes vs. Aliens

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jags, Jul 14, 2011.

1. jags

jags

May 10, 2011
    Kona Hawaii
    I posted this on a Kramer Duke thread a few days back but got no response so I'm throwing it out here for all to see. Trying to get the lowdown on the difference between the Kramer Duke and the Hondo Alien. Hopefully some of you will get back with some answers.

I just picked up what I thought was a Kramer Duke. But there seems to be some things on this bass that don't match a Kramer Duke. So I'm thinking it may be a Hondo Alien.

First is that the aluminum piece at the head is mounted with 2 screws. The Dukes I have seen have only one screw.

Next the fretboard is rosewood and not the synthetic material the Dukes used.

Third my neck is aluminum with wood inserts on both sides like the Dukes. I have seen that some people say the Aliens had wood necks. Does anyone know if this is a fact? Maybe some had wood and others aluminum/wood? I can't see how any bass like this could use a wood neck without a truss rod. Any comments?

Fourth the metal neck mounting cover plate on the back has no markings. The Dukes seemed to have "The Duke" and "Kramer" engraved on them. Any one seen anything different?

Fifth the bridge on the Dukes came in 2 versions with the newer ones using a Schaller 3D-4 Bridge marked "Kramer". Mine has what looks like a Schaller 3D-4 but has no markings. Does anyone know if the Aliens used the Schaller 3D-4 bridges or did they use a copy?

Sixth, the pickup also looks like the Schaller used in the Dukes. Anyone know if this is the case or were they some other type of pickup? If so what are they?

Last my tuners are unmarked. The Dukes were supposed to have used Schallers and the photos I have seen show a "D" shape impression or shape to the back of the tuner. Mine have a round impression or shape on the back. Any clue to what tuners the Aliens used?

I hope some of you can get back to me so that I we can try to determine if what I have is a Duke or Alien and also answers to these question will make it easier for others to determine what they may have.

Thanks and hope to hear back from some of you soon!

2. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Post your question on metalnecks.com forum. You will get better responses.

As far as I know the Alien had neck thru construction (do an eBay search, I believe one sold there not long ago.) Living near and knowing some of the guys from the old Kramer plant, I believe they all had Dimarzio's in them, the neck was the standard T aluminum with inserts but the whole thing was painted, and had Shallers. The bridge had Kramer on it.

If the neck on the one you have is aluminum, it could be maybe an early version or a NAMM piece. If I were you I'd look in the control cavity and look for signs of foreign parts and materials.

I'll send a message to an old Kramer factory guy and see if he can shed some light on this.

3. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Yes, it looks like you have a Hondo Alien.

The following link has a bunch of pics of an Alien, and they match up with your description. kramer bass duke alien - Bass guitar museum
    From the one side pic there, it is clear the Alien has an aluminum neck with a wood fingerboard.

I read somewhere that Hondo made some of their Aliens without any brand name logo or other identifiers, and it sounds like you have one of those.

To my knowledge, all Dukes have ebonol fingerboard, and I have not yet seen any other Steinberger clone with ebonol.

My fretless Kramer Duke:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    This is said to be a Hondo Alien w/out logo. Note the jack location.

DSC01571.gif

5. Predator always wins...they have that shoulder scope and invisibility.

6. jags

jags

May 10, 2011
    Kona Hawaii
    It does not have a neck through construction and from every pic I've see of a Duke or Alien I have never seen one without this same aluminum neck. Only difference in the neck is the ebonol fingerboard on the Duke vs. rosewood on the Alien. And the Dukes have 1 mounting screw at the head vs. 2 for the Alien. And yes this did have foreign pots which were not working and now replaced with Bourns pots, an orange drop and a switchcraft jack.

I've seen that same jack location and style on the newer versions of the Duke Kramer. The pic RandyMolson posted is the older version of the Duke. It has a different jack position and does not have the Schaller bridge or pickup like the newer versions did.

I will post some pics once I get some good photos. Also this bass has had some "bodywork" done to it (not by me!) so if it had the "Alien" logo on the body like I have seen on other Aliens it is long gone.

Thanks for all of your inputs!

7. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Alien is much more believable IMO.

8. jags

jags

May 10, 2011
    Kona Hawaii
    Here are some pics.

A5.jpg

A4.jpg

9. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NC
    Awww man, the thread title had me hoping that an awesome movie had been created.:(

Boss_Hogg%2Band%2Bthe%2Bdukes%2Bof%2Bhazzard.jpg
    Vs.
    alien_xenomorph_01.jpg

10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
  11. jags

jags

May 10, 2011
    Kona Hawaii
    OK, here are some comparison pics.

First is the 1st generation Kramer Duke. Simpler Pickup and Bridge, no switch, jack on front.

Second is 2nd generation Kramer Duke. Schaller Pickup, Schaller Bridge with Kramer engraving, 3 way switch, jack on bottom.

Third and fourth are Hondo Aliens. They are copies of the Kramer Duke. Schaller Bridge with no Logo. Same switch position and jack on bottom.

Fifth is my bass. Definately a Hondo Alien with some bodywork!

DukeAlien.jpg

Also the Hondo Aliens all have 2 screws at the head on the neck while the Kramer Dukes only have one. Also as mentioned before the fingerboard is ebonol on the Duke and rosewood on the Alien. Both have aluminum necks with wood inserts on the back.

With all this figured out I do have a few things left unanswered. The Alien pickup looks similar to the Schaller in the Dukes but I do notice the Schallers look a tad bit smaller and also the pole pieces are black while on the Aliens they are silver. I saw no markings on my pickup when I removed it. Does anyone know what the pickups are in the Aliens?

Also the Duke tuners are supposed to be Schallers. Anyone have any idea about the Alien tuners?

All in all the Aliens look to be as good as the Dukes if not maybe better in that they have rosewood fingerboards and 2 screws instead of one at the head. Other wise the parts seem to be almost identical. The only question hinges on the electronics. We pretty much know what's in the Duke but it is still a mystery what lies within the Alien!

12. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    If there is a noticable difference between the two mfgrs, I would put my $ on the branded (rather than no-name components).

I consider the ebanol vs rosewood to be a matter of production logistics. Kramer made a design decision and set up their factory for ebanol. Hondo did not. I imagine Kramer had preproduction R&D involved in their decsion.

13. TH1

TH1 Guest

Nov 17, 2010
    Had a guitar given to me kooks just the same as the black hondo/kramer alien but has Marshall on the neck any ideas cant trace it anywhere cant get parts anywhere ??

14. jags

jags

May 10, 2011
    Kona Hawaii
    Can you post some pics?

15. sharkwagon

sharkwagon

Aug 13, 2009
    Dallas TX
    I hope I am not muddying the waters, but I just picked up a Phantom (the one with the ghost logo) bass that is identical to the Hondo in terms of the rosewood fretboard and unbranded schaler style bridge and tuners. The main difference between it and the Duke/Alien is that it does not use the bolt on aluminum neck, but has a conventional neck-thru wood neck with truss rod adjustment in the body. It also has black hardware and a pinstripe around the body. It looks like it could have come from the same plant as the Hondo it looks so similar. I will post pictures when I get the chance, but it is a project at this point as I am getting new tuning keys for it.

16. jags

jags

May 10, 2011
    Kona Hawaii
    Please post some pics. There was a lot of speculation about a none aluminum neck version of these but no one could come up with anything definitive. The bass you have is called the "Phantom". First time I've heard that name. So please post pics of what you got!!

Thanks!

17. sharkwagon

sharkwagon

Aug 13, 2009
    Dallas TX
    I also found pictures of a Schafer brand bass online that was neck thru but the body style was slightly different from the Duke/Alien. The Phantom one I have looks exactly the same as a Duke. I'll post pictures when I get a chance to take some. I have heard that phantom was only in business for 3 years, which may be why there aren't many around. I have seen other Phantom guitars, a lot looked like pointy headstock Kramers. It makes me I wonder if they came from the same plant as some of the cheap Kramers of the era. Dunno.

18. sharkwagon

sharkwagon

Aug 13, 2009
    Dallas TX
    Photos:
    Sorry for the bad lighting and shortage of strings, I am waiting for my new locking tuners to come in.

IMG_9405.jpg

IMG_9406.jpg

IMG_9403.jpg

IMG_9408.jpg

AngelDeVille likes this.
  19. sharkwagon

sharkwagon

Aug 13, 2009
    Dallas TX
    DukeAlienPhantom.jpg

20. sharkwagon

sharkwagon

Aug 13, 2009
    Dallas TX
    FWIW according to the casting on the bottom the bridge on my Phantom is a German made Schaler, the Dukes used Schaler bridges that were oem'ed for them by having Kramer branding but normally they don't have a logo. The non-branded tuners are just as likely German made Schaler with no logos that the vendor bought in bulk, as that was common practice. Hard for me to say for sure as to the tuners on mine as it had 4 different ones on it (3 right 1 left) and I'm not sure which was stock :eek: