My second bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassNoobSuomi, Jun 9, 2012.

1. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    Only your second? (never heard of a Harley Benton, but it sure looks pretty:)

2. Yeah. i just started started last year. And my first is a cheap P.O.S that i picked up at a garage sale one day.

3. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    Then it's definitely time for another one...I've been playing a bit over a year, and I have 5 of them around the house...I LOVE my Ibby sr500, it plays as well as my Ibby premium, at less than half the price...then there's my Gretsch, and my Fender elite II...but I STILL don't have a fretless, lol:) For bang for the buck, I highly recommend Ibanez...The Sr500 has electronics that you'd find on basses costing twice as much...

4. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish Guest

Jan 10, 2012
    E.Sussex UK
    Harley Benton isn't going to be a step-up from the bass you've got. They're super-cheap and very low quality. I've got a resonator from them, and I had to clean off TONNES of glue to get it clean. It's made of plywood, the bridge is wonky, the nut is wonky, the pickup's wonky, rubbish neck. I wouldn't of bought it if I could afford a decent resonator, it sucks.

5. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Used american made Peavey. Fury, foundations, etc. Search talkbass and you will find a lot of love for these. Would be in your price range and are exceptional basses for the money.

6. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    Have you played any of these basses? Go to your local music store, and try out what they've got...

7. I would if there were any music stores anywhere near me.
    Hankasalmi is not a very big place.

8. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    If the one you're eyeing is anything like the one he describes, I'd choose ANYTHING else as a second bass. Also, a mahogany body will be HEAVY - after 30-45 minutes, your shoulder will be feeling it.

9. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish Guest

Jan 10, 2012
    E.Sussex UK
    Exactly, the factory had covered the whole thing in glue where they had assembled it. I had to clean off the whole neck and body and the paint is already chipping.
    They suck, seriously

10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Yeah I'd go with Peavey over Harley Benton.

11. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    What kind of bass are you looking for or are you just starting out and don't have clear preferences? If your case is the latter, I deeply suggest trying/buying a Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision bass. You simply cannot go wrong with those.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/fender_squier_vintmod_precision_am.htm

There's a reason Ps and Js are probably the most popular basses on the planet. :p Also, you should shop with your hands and ears (mostly), not your eyes.

Edit: And don't forget to get a good set-up for your new bass no matter which one you end up with. Playing with high action, off intonation and flesh-tearing fret ends is a crime against all bassists in the world.

12. UK_Lefty

UK_Lefty Guest

Jun 5, 2012
    London
    There's some good quality basses in the price range if you're able to go up to the price of the Peavey. Upgrading your bass will be a nice step forward and help you coax some different sounds out.

Two and a half years after getting my first ever bass (a P Bass copy, crappy tone) I had the opportunity to buy a passive 5 string fretless with two soapbar pickups. Ten years on and that is my main bass, it changed how I play completely. Getting an upgrade and something that you think looks good and feels good should help inspire you and get you to approach the instrument in a different way.

13. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    I think that's a sharp looking bass. I may end up picking one up and modding the hell out of it. Never heard of them, but at one time in the past I'm willing to bet that someone said "Fender guitars?! Are they instruments or car parts?" You never know. 100 years from now, Behringer could end up the #1 amp in the world. Every business has to start somewhere. I bought my first bass from a store called Alpha Music in May of '86 at their Spring Cleaning Sale. It was a white Kramer Aerostar, paid $160 for it. Weighed very light, and sounded very light. Also, was a rather difficult bass to play. When I got my Precision Special 2 years later, it played like soft butter and sounded decent through my 150w Gorilla combo. I am now a Fender guy but always keep my eyes peeled for something different. After all, in order to get ahead, you have to take chances. You can't win if you don't play. If you get it and it's weak, it wasn't very expensive - no big deal, lesson learned. If you get it and it's a keeper, it's a big win. To me, it's a chance worth taking.

BTW, welcome to the family!

14. I've played a couple of basses other than my current P.O.S and from what little expirience i have, i can say that my ideal bass would be something with dual humbuckers, and a slim 35' neck.
    If it's neck-thru, thats good. If it's got a natural finish, even better. The Peavey grind(in my opinion) seems like the perfect bass for me. So should i get it?

15. Bromosapian

Bromosapian Guest

Sep 28, 2010
    get a peavey T-40. Better than most of the stuff people will tell you to get (especially here), and cheaper too. It will work no matter what and it sounds better than a lot of stuff thats twice the price.

16. Immigrant

Immigrant In Memoriam

I'd be willing to bet a minimum of one useless body part that that bass is built on the same "line" as the Peavey Grind. There's a bunch of those neck-thrus that have VERY similar body styles (Grind) with different headstocks.

Half of them are junk. The other half are OK after a decent setup, new guts, in other words buy something you can play. If basses are hard to find there, can a decent repair person be any easier?

17. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    I have no personal experience with the said bass but sounds like at least the specs would be in your favor. :D