The Official Mosrite Bass Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewfretless, May 17, 2009.

1. I have yet to see a Mosrite Bass Owners Club, so I decided to get one started. This is my 1972 Mosrite Post Ventures Bass.

my_Mosrite004.jpg

my_Mosrite006-1.jpg

my_Mosrite007.jpg

Let's see those Mosrites!!! :D

Ellery, hankazoid, bobyoung53 and 2 others like this.
  2. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    that is beautiful..
    dumb question though..
    are mosrites still in production?

3. Thanks, it is a sweet sounding bass and once you get used to the string spacing, it is a great player. I believe there are still USA made Mosrites being built today as well as a company in Japan that makes Mosrites (Filmore). I think you can get Mosrite basses through Ed Roman Guitars. Here is a picture of some of the newer Mosrites.

mosritebassgroup.jpg

P. Aaron likes this.
  4. There's gotta be some Mosrite owners out there:ninja:

65_mosrite.jpg

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    NW Ohio
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I don't own one, but I'm ever hopeful. BTW, I saw a video of The Ventures in Japan, with Bob Bogle playing a Mosrite. At one point, it looks like he stomps on a pedal and gets this nasty, overdrive tone. Any body check this out? I think it was on YouTube.

6. There aren't many of us on TB but I've been a Mosrite owner since 1965.

Rick B.

incase2-1.jpg
    headstock.jpg
    neckdate1.jpg
    bodydate.jpg

Ellery, ac100X, Salo70 and 7 others like this.

7. Very Nice Rick! I know there are a few of us out there, and I don't think a lot of people realize that there are some very cool new Mosrite basses out there. You are # 2, welcome to the club:D

8. Here is the Mosrite Mark II bass,in all available colors, has anyone played one of these?

mk2bass-blk.gif
    mk2bass-cr.jpg
    mk2bass-wh.jpg
    mk2bass-55thann.gif

P. Aaron and DeeDeeKing like this.
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Awesome basses!

10. Just guessing but it might have been a Mosrite Fuzzrite pedal. A guy I played with in the 60's had one when fuzz tone was about as high-tech as effects got, and I always hated the sound of it. Real buzz-saw distortion that wasn't anything like what the popular bands of the time were using. Now that they are rare and vintage I suppose they sound better.

Rick B.

11. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    I own a 1967 Mosrite bass. Some jackass had it refretted in the 80's, and a different jackass replaced the bridge pickup in the 70's. It's beat to hell, but feels and sounds great.

I'll post pictures soon.

12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Here's a big Ventures fan. I have '72 "Ventures" bass (non signature) with dual pickups and "duckfeet" tuners in sunburst and a '65 Ventures signature with single pickup and elephant ear tuners also in sunburst. This one also has the pickguard autographed by Bob Bogle, Don Wilson, Nookie Edwards and Leon Taylor from a cruise that I was on with them a few years back. Insanely slim neck. :cool:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  13. Pr0t0

Pr0t0 Guest

Aug 8, 2010
    Hi. I'm on a US1000 budget, and not decided yet between a 1967 Mosrite Bass (not venture) and a vintage mustang bass made in US.
    Can yo guys shed some light on this?
    I'd like to be able to use effects, dunno how the mosrite behaves with it... mostly rock-experimental-electronica stuff. Looking for character, above all things.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

best,
    rc

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I would love to own one of the hollowbody ones.

15. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've got one of the Mosrite Celebrity Basses - modded, but a great bass. They offered two different scale lengths - a 25" and a 30", IIRC. Mine is the 30" scale. Really cool bass.

MC1.jpg

bobyoung53, GreaserMatt and P. Aaron like this.
  16. Meddle

Meddle Guest

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Roman claims to be the only source of "proper" Mosrites, but that is the sort of thing he comes out with all the time. He probably has Eastwood copies he mods a bit and sells as the real thing, much like all his other stock.:bag:

17. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Quote found on Roman's site:

"Harry Reid Nancy Pelosi & Barack Obama are the three people responsible for the fact that you cannot afford to buy one of my guitars."

And to think I thought it was pure greed and just being a scumbag. Thanks for setting us straight, Ed! :hyper:

18. I passed on the opportunity to buy a Mustang bass in the mid-90's for $50.00. No way I would pay $1,000.00 for one of those. Mosrite pickups have a very hot signal output. They should work as well as any other instrument with effects, although you might have to turn down the input gain a bit.

Rick B.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    congratulations, mosrite owners. you truly have shoulders of steel! never played a bass or guitar as heavy as mosrite in my life. used to own a 65 ventures guitar. that thing made a les paul feel like a hofner beatle bass!

GreaserMatt likes this.
  20. I responded to this same statement in another thread last night. I weighed my Ventures Model bass last night and it weighs 8.5 lbs. Hardly a shoulder breaker.

Rick B.

vid1900 likes this.