Found a cool old bassist, need some help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Rocky

Rocky Inactive

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
  2. Rocky

Rocky Inactive

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Ok, I just sent an email, hopefully we can get this bass for your buddy. Even though I am unemployed like others here I'll help with the cost of shipping if it will make the difference.

3. Rocky

Rocky Inactive

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Oh well, Just got a reply, and its already been given away.

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I'm curious why this guy is down on his luck? Some sort of illness?

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    As gigs started drying up, his wife at the time made him sell everything he owned to pay rent, and eventually he ended up homeless and alone, and has been trying to rebuild his life since then.

There has been a really generous outpouring of support here on TB, and I've now got enough funds to get him all the extra things needed to play (cable, strap, tuner, strings, etc)

I'll be posting pictures once everything together and he gets his bass. :)

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

6. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    Nice, you guys work fast. I wouldn't even have had time to get Paypall in order in time to donate.

There is a very valuable lesson to be had in this. Sounds like something that would surely happen to me. :/

7. Jones_Stuff

Jones_Stuff Guest

Nov 26, 2009
    Leicester, UK
    It makes me wonder how many more bass players there are like this, maybe every bassist The Cult ever had...

:bag:

8. andre000

andre000 Guest

Jan 3, 2010
    Monterey, CA USA
    I found this while searching for my older brother. His name is Butch Porter. I have not seen him in 40 years. I heard he was a Bass Player for a group called Empress. I think this is him. Anyway, I have been searching for him for most of my life. We were seaprated as children and I think this is the guy you are talking about. My name is Andre Porter and I live in California. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! If this is my long lost older brother I really want to see him again. I am thinking that this is some sort of miracle!
    He was Born in April of 1958. I hear he is living somewhere in the NYC area. Thats all I know. Anyway, I would love to find him and talk to him and even help him if he needs anything. I am hoping you can contact me and tell me anything you know.
    Again, my name is Andre Porter. my email address is [email protected] and my phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. If Butch is indeed the long-lost brother I have been searching for, I beg you to please contact me right away so that I can see him and talk to him again after all of these years.

GregC and champbassist like this.
  9. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    ***!!! are you serious this is out of control!!!:)

10. MultiScaleMale

MultiScaleMale Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Wow!!

11. andre000

andre000 Guest

Jan 3, 2010
    Monterey, CA USA
    I am absolutely serious! I have been searching for him all of my life. I am heartbroken to hear he has had some hard times and I want to contact him as soon as possible. His real nae is Arthur Lee Porter Jr. He is from Queens NY, and we were separated in 1968 or 1969. I have not seen him since. Not a day goes by that I do not think of him. And my only wish is to see him again. Please... If anyone knows how I can reach him just tell me ok?
    I swear that I am telling the truth and I would give anything just to be reunited again with my big brother. As kids he was my idol and hero and I never forgot him. My previous post has my phone number and email address and anyone can call me anytime day or night to give me any information to help me find Butch.
    Thanks for all of your kindness and assistance in this matter.

GregC likes this.
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

This thread gets cooler every minute.

13. WOW, this could be amazing.

14. Grizzly700

Grizzly700 Guest

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    There is no other place on the web like Talkbass. What an amazing story if this is actually his brother.

15. We gotta keep this one alive.

16. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    GE, good story with 2 potential great endings/beginnings. TB is showing it's heart.

17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    central coast
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Actually there are a lot of places like Talkbass. On another forum I moderate for, there was a member who's wife posted under his account. He was a fire fighter, had contracted Hep C in the 80's while trying to rescue a junkie, and finally passed away while waiting for a liver transplant. His dream was to restore an old Porsche 911 that he bought as a basket case (this was a 911 BBS). Within a few days we collected over $6K in donations and a group of guys local to the widow met up with her and got the car. About 9 months later they presented her with a *totally* restored 911, just as her husband had wanted. All of the parts and labor were either donated or paid for out of the donations. The pictures of her getting the car were priceless. Not a replacement for her husband by any means, but it meant a lot. Plenty of other smaller acts, people helping out, connections being made, etc.

The digital world can be cool that way sometimes...

18. Grizzly700

Grizzly700 Guest

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN

Maybe there is hope for the internet... :hyper:

19. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    hey I'm not doubting you, we need general electric to get back here!

20. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    It looks like Andre000 just joined the forum. It would be interesting to find out how he found this thread so quickly. This is very cool!