Roland Announces New V-Bass VB-99 !!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by boomski, Oct 25, 2008.

1. I think you're probably right on that Stef - i'll put it on my "wouldn't it be nice if Roland made..." list next to wireless 13-pin connectors :)

2. Yeah, i agree, ... however wouldn't it be nicer if someone (Roland? / RMC? / ......?) made it possible to implement this in a (let's call it: GK-4B-Digital) with only ... uhm ?7? wires (one for the digital signal, 3 for the powersuply (including the shield?), 2 for S1/S2 and 1 for GK-vol), this way the connector and cable could be maybe cheaper and more reliable, even though the GK-4B would be way more expensive, but that's a customers choice.

So much more to whish for ;) .... for now i will be very satisfied with the new VB-99 so far!!!

3. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Available only in January in Canada.....:meh:

4. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Anybody had some time to work on it ?

We need some critics.......

5. If i'm very lucky, the unit will arive tomorrow!!! :hyper:
    ... so perhaps, if i can make some time without the unit ;), i'll be posting my 1st findings this week ....

But hey, it's not a promis ... i'll have to stop VB-99-ing :eek: ....... so it may take a few days ...

6. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Thanx a lot for taking the time to do that !!!!

Two little questions ;

Do you play with a pick ?
    Just wonder about all the sounds with a big attack.....

And what do you think of the tracking ?
    Any noticable latency ?

7. SteveC

SteveC Gold Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    Maybe this instead of a GT-10B...????...

8. The pleasure was all mine :)

I always do fingerstyle. The attack can come from my fingers: Sometimes I hit the strings gently like using a whip. The unit responds beautifully to any dynamic. Unlike most midi devices.

The tracking is perfect. Didn't notice any latency at all while playing with the default settings! Even the B-string!
    Pretty amazing isn't it?

The ninth part is corrected now.

9. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Comparing the GT-10B to the VB-99 is like comparing a (sweet) sports car to a frickin F-18! Both good but when you add the ability to process each string separately it opens up a whole new dimension! :bassist:

10. Kryz

Kryz

Sep 18, 2006
    Freiburg, Germany
    I think I like the pitch shifting presets most. Most of those synthesizerish sounds seem pretty useless to me though. With midi conversion and software synths there are much better sounds available IMHO. But I guess since they are all factory presets there are probably lots of possibilities for creating your own sounds and presets.
    Is the mutron effect usable?
    How is the midi conversion working? Is there more latency than with an axon interface?

11. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I needed 80's synth bass sound for my live band, so I went with the whole Graphtech kit + a GI-20 to try softsynth but the latency from the pitch to midi conversion is un-Playable , that's why I'm interested in the newer v-bass....
    If it's a bit tweakable , and I can have a Minimoog type of sound , without latency , I'll be very happy.....

My guess is that it's gonna be the same as a GI-20 ; bad.:confused:

PS; the Axons has the same latency as the GI-20 , I did a A/B test.....

12. Kryz

Kryz

Sep 18, 2006
    Freiburg, Germany
    Okay, I agree that the latency of midi bass is quite annoying. But there are ways to make it work anyways. If you don't need the same pitch to sound simultaneously midi and audio, you can pitch down the midi, so if you play it an octave higher, you can get that same low note with much less latency. If you do want to play the same note audio as midi it's a good idea to choose sounds that don't have a strong attack. Sounds that creep in slowly can be pretty awesome!

13. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Yeah I know , doing pads and sweep is very nice , but since I'm a bass player , I need to groove with a drummer , so latency is a no-no , for me anyways......

Bass synth sounds mostly have strong attacks , minimoog , Prophet5 type....

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    For my own needs and having used pitch-to-midi conversion a lot in the past and programming synth patches especially for that, I prefer the lack of delay and the greater assured tracking of using the V-Bass internally-modelled sounds - and the additional interaction/nuances that they provide without having to program synth/sampler sounds with Continuous Controllers to have that control over nuance. One's hands on the bass can make so many subtle and varied changes in a basic sound that I don't want to throw this expressivity away...

But yes, even the best "synth pedal" won't sound like whatever analog or digital synth or sampler - just read some of the synth bass pedal threads to see what users with anolog synth experience have to say about the issue. But the COSM "synth" models are very powerful and varied. They may not be the best sounds if someone has something specific in mind that's originally coming from a real synthesizer, but they could be the best bass-guitar-driven synthy sounds around (if programmed to the user's desires). Note also my earlier link to an article about the classic Roland guitar synths - they seem to have that nailed in the new VG-99 and I would assume the VB-99 as well.

Anyway, it's all a subjective call; I know I've got a lot of synthy V-Bass patches that ace the factory sounds as far as my own preferences are concerned, and they all interact with my technique. But though the V-Bass opens up a universe of new sonics it isn't going to open up the SAME universe as __name_synth_or_sampler_model_here__. But then, there wouldn't be so many synth and sampler models in use if they all had the same sonic territory. My perspective is that what the original V-Bass does can't be found elsewhere in one package, so it's very good in the "horsepower per pound and inch" view. And the VB-99 manual indicates that more yet is possible with the new unit.

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Also: without appreciable latency, the COSM synths blend much easier with the host bass's magnetics so one doesn't typically have to deal with comb-filtered/phase-related cancellations. Since LF content suffers the most obviously from this, I appreciate this when layering.

16. fokof

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Thanx for that comment , I was looking forward to a point of view from someone who has expenrience in both v-bass and virtual synths.

It kind of confirm what I thought.
    I had only limited time on a first gen. VG-8 to see that COSM can be very low latency and from the clips I hear from Wiro , the basic is there.
    With tweaking , I'm sure a lot can be done ....

Thanx again

17. jamf

jamf Guest

May 4, 2008
    Has anybody who has one of these baby's tried out the D-beam yet?

18. boomski

boomski

Feb 12, 2005
    Tokyo
    The D-Beam works as advertised I guess but IMHO it is mostly a visual gimmick to be used to exaggerate effects that could more easily be controlled by an expression pedal or foot switch . I changed the freeze function over to foot switch control so I could stop accidentally setting it off and getting stuck notes every time time I swung the bass through the ( invisible ) beam . By the way has anyone else gotten the midi note triggering to work right without having to crank the GK levels ridiculously high ? I have a GI-20 too and that unit has multiple gain stages after the initial GK input that seem to be missing on the VB-99 midi section .