Are KSB basses a verboten subject around here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jasonic, May 12, 2010.

1. Jasonic

Jasonic Guest

May 8, 2010
    Hello all! Newbie. I just got a Ken Smith Black Tiger 5 string-and I love it. Plays, sounds, and looks beautiful.
    My other bass is an original MM Stingray "B00" bass from 1978. I love that as well.
    I've searched around, but for such a fairly high profile bass there's not much mentioned about KSB's that I could find, and I noticed that Ken Smith is banned from this forum! What gives? :ninja:
    If there's some weirdness I'd love to hear about it...
    Anybody else here play KSB's?
    Here's a photo I shot...
    sorry, but I really love this instrument!

KSB-Pillow-2w.jpg

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    To put it as nicely as possible, KS basses are beautiful and have a great, unique sound, and Ken Smith is an extremely experienced, highly intelligent, completely pompous d-bag.

3. SkitzoBass

SkitzoBass Guest

May 11, 2010
    Canada
    Nice bass man.
    I'm new to this forum as well, although i've known about it for many years.
    I'd like to know whats up with this ken smith deal?

you should throw up a picture of your MM as well.

4. Jasonic

Jasonic Guest

May 8, 2010
    Ah. Never met the man...just bought his bass.
    I've also heard Leo Fender was a bit of a pill...but he never posted on a forum...thank God! ;)

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've owned a Ken Smith and I have nothing but respect for his skill as luthier and a musician. He could be a very prickly person as a member of TB. I say this as someone who has gotten into my own fair share of internet dustups myself!

Overall, there is a great deal of respect for what Ken Smith has done among TB'ers, IMO.:)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    I don't think Ken has a hand in the actual luthiery/woodworking of his basses.

7. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i thought he does with the ken smith basses, but he only has a hand in designing ksd. i may be wrong.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Since he can't speak for himself I don't know how fair a discussion of what he does or doesn't do can be?:confused:

I'll just say his basses are great.:bassist:

9. Jasonic

Jasonic Guest

May 8, 2010
    * Highest Quality & Playable Handmade Basses for over 30 Years
    * All Woods are selected by Ken Smith for every Bass
    * In-house Exotic Wood Lumberyard with over 20 species of Aged Exotic Tonewoods
    * Final set-up of every Bass is still done by Ken Smith
    * From beginning to end, Ken is supervising the making of your Bass every step of the way

This is from Ken's website. I spoke to Ken in depth when I was ordering regarding tone of woods etc. He was very "New Yorkish" in his manner, but spoke to me for quite a while. I grew up a New Yorker, so I didn't think twice about his manner. Some people find me a touch grating at times... although I can't imagine why? :D

10. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    of the few Smith basses that i've played with, they have all been really nice.. that Black Tiger looks like it would be nice too..

Ken Smith, the man.. - just read past threads..

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also FWIW he had absolutely nothing to do with the design of KSD basses. He only licensed the use of his name to them for a while. A few of the earliest models were based on the looks of Ken's basses, but even then it wasn't him doing the design work on those early KSD's. Now they are only allowed to use the initials, not the words "Ken Smith Design", because they no longer have license to use his name.

I have a lot of friends from NY, and they can be brusque or crude, but they are not mean-spirited or nasty. But any time Ken spat his venom in here, he would respond to the people he offended by reciting "I'm a New Yorker, this is how we talk". :meh:

12. Jasonic

Jasonic Guest

May 8, 2010
    Stepping back S-L-O-W-L-Y...:help:
    New to this forum...I guess there's a history here I missed. I don't want to end up defending a man I've only talked to over the phone...
    I can honestly state I am neither mean spirited or nasty. Opinionated-yes, but mean, no. I love a good debate, but once the shouting starts it's over for me. Life's too short.
    The dude makes a nice bass tho.

13. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh hey, no need to back away or feel too weird about it. There is definitely some history here, but even the most anti-Ken folks here will admit his basses are great, and they are certainly worthy of discussion in this forum. It's only the man himself that has "issues", and nobody looks down on an appreciator of the basses. :)

14. caasi91

caasi91

Sep 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    yeah, i have 2 smiths, a CRV and a burner.
    the CRV is really nice