Favorite hardcore band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Botch

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Burnt By The Sun

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Candiria

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Converge

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Dillinger Escape Plan

38 vote(s)
    24.7%
  6. Mastodon

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. Into The Moat

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Opeth

23 vote(s)
    14.9%
  9. Other? Please list.

62 vote(s)
    40.3%
  1. For all of you listen to hardcore. Who's your favorite.

2. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    I voted Botch - by far the most brave and progressive of those listed. I miss them a great deal.

The proper answer though, without whom you'd not have modern hardcore, is "Bad Brains".

And for that matter where's Voivod, from whom bands like Botch, DEP, Deadguy, etc., freely admit to borrowing from wholesale? There's no future without a past.

Cool that you listed Opeth. Love that band, but would never have thought of them as "hardcore". Usually the only difference between "harcore" and more technical "metal" though is the dress code and lyrics.

My current faves are Himsa and Thrice.

Never heard of "Into The Moat". Funny name. I'll watch this thread for more cool bands to check out.

3. Well. I was thinking Bad Brains because they were early hardcore.

But I kind of meant modern/current hardcore.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Candiria.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    I don't know if they're considered hardcore (maybe just rock), but Clutch is a favorite of mine. I also used to be a fan of Tree.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    deftones is the ONLY hardcore band i like. don't know why.

7. As far as modern hardcore bands, the first one that comes to mind is Kid Dynamite tied with At the Drive-In (discounting all Emo arguements). And Turbonegro is pretty hardcore as well.

8. Sick Of It All, are utter amazingness. Also check out Avenged Sevefold, From Autumn To Ashes, Most Precious Blood and, if they qualify, Grade.

There's more I like, but I can't think. It's too early in the morning. ;)

9. Ryan Berry

Ryan Berry Guest

Dec 1, 2001
    Merrimack, NH
  10. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I chose the Dillinger Escape Plan. Their technical excellence and tightness is just unmatched.

11. Slot

Slot Guest

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    I like old school hardcore like, Minor Threat, and Gorilla Biscuits.

Raised fist are also the shiz.

12. Boozy

Boozy Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i like old school hardcore too.. canadian hardcore bands

beyond possession
    the boozehounds
    death sentence
    dayglo abortions
    buncho****ingoofs

but "favorite" is such a difficult word to use..

some guys i know have a band called Broken Nose, they are one of my favorite bands... they just grow on you and keep growing and growing... groovy, sortof melodic hardcore.. quite different from what i listed above... best live show i have ever seen.

another favoite, but again different, is pennywise. i think they ripp.

ofcoarse i will always love the exploited, old DRI, agnostic.. other NYHC like 25 ta life is good.

too much hardcore to list. sorry, i babble.

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland
    Terveet Kadet. Mmm, crunchy old-old-skool HC from the days when standard punk rock was more HC than most of the HC bands today!

14. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Great list !

In another thread I noticed your BN signature quote and was surprised. I'm a 'Nose fan too. In fact I was listening to the "Horny Ride" album when I read your post and as I write this. What are the odds !??!

Really nice guys, great band, great show, and most importantly killer catchy original tunes.

"Build a better mousetrap, catch me a fatter rat !!" LOL. :bassist:

15. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I noticed a Dayglo reference up there - right on. Here Today, Guano Tomorrow's one of my favorite albums of all time.

Fave hardcore band, tho, would have to be S.O.D. - the Stormtroopers of Death - a side project for Scott Ian and Charlie Benetante of Anthrax. S.O.D. begat Nuclear Assault and M.O.D. (Dan Lilker and Billy Milano, respectively), all four bands impacted and influenced speed metal/hardcore/thrash/whatever you want to call it for decades to come. Good stuff Maynard.

16. Boozy

Boozy Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    LOL!.. Yeah, small world!! One of my best friends grew up with those guys and got me into them when I was younger, actually before 'broken nose' was formed... They're definately one of those bands that grow on you. They're latest album "The Evidence Room" is different.. took me a couple listens to get into all of the songs, but now I'm hooked!! LOL! They should go far, I hope. I actually went up to Ed. to see they're CD release party a month ago, best show I've ever seen I think!

oh yeah, MOD, SOD, Nuclear Assult, Anthrax, all great bands... actually, thanks for mentioning them cause I forgot about those bands! Now I have something to do!

17. xcental34x

xcental34x Guest

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hands down, best hardcore band, in my opinion, is Bane. This stuff is so technical and amazingly original. Better than the horrible bands that are classified as hardcore by the hipsters. Honorable mention goes to Stretch Armstrong (heh, just saw them Tuesday), American Nightmare (GUTG is ok), Comeback Kid, Snapcase, The Hope Conspiracy, and Madball, and oh yeah, Converge.

~Patrick

18. Converge, locast,Dillinger Escape Plan , bad brains are wicked good. tree omg i seen them so any times for free i only paid to see them once, such a great band.

in new england theres two bands that go by bane, one that really really sucks (sounds liek the locast but really bad.) just noise. then here one thats spose to be good.

19. agnostic front or roger miret and the diasters

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Must be that I live under a rock, cause I havent heard of any of those bands before.