Fingerstyle Metal Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob Guest

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I was, probably pointlessly, trying to come up with a fingerstyle bassist from each sub genre of metal; i.e. power, black, progressive.

My question is anyone know some good examles of black metal or power metal that play with fingers?

2. clayton

clayton Guest

Jun 26, 2005
    The uy from Opeth plays with his finger, although I don't if their music can be categorized as blcak metal....

3. Bigwig

Bigwig Guest

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    Check out the bassist from Unearth.
    His name isnt coming to me right now, but he is a madman on that warwick of his.

4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    A good black metal bassist is Vortex from Dimmu Borgir, he plays with fingers.

As for prog metal the first person I can think of is John Myung from Dream Theater

Also a couple great finger style death metal bassits would be Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse and Eric Langlois from Cryptopsy.

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Felipe Andreolli from Angra. I saw him playing a 6 fretless and it was amazing.

6. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob Guest

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    ahhh dimmu! and what genre is angra and is their a particular bad ass album of thiers i should check out?

7. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob Guest

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Oh and I thought of the reason i was thinking of fingerstyle metal bassists. I've been playing bass for 5-6 years so im decently quick and have few bad habits. I'm trying to spot the best metal bassists to learn things from. I think the best lesson i ever read came from Steve Digiorgio about him using 3 fingers to keep up with the guitarists and I'm looking for more essential like that.

8. TheJimster

TheJimster Guest

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Tom Araya from Slayer plays finger bass

9. steve21

steve21 Inactive

As far as I know, not anymore...

10. Horrable band. Anyway if you are looking for a bassist that plays metalcore, check out the bassist from protest the hero.

lowsound

11. The bassist from Aborted (not sure if she's full time or not, I heard they keep on changing their lineup) had some pretty cool fretless fingestyle chops. And FWIW, I though Cryptopsy were pretty cool (didn;t really notice the bassist much though).

12. juan alderete when he was in Racer X

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    <3 juan

14. astronauts_suck

astronauts_suck Guest

Jun 16, 2005
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Mars Volta guy, right? I didn't know that about him......

15. paulodumb

paulodumb Guest

Jan 16, 2006
    ypsilanti, mi
    Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse plays with his fingers.
    I'm pretty sure Tom Arya is using a pick in every video clip I've seen of him playing.

16. Mudvayne's bassist, Ryan (Mar...)memory block

17. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Black metal fingerstyle? B War from Marduk. Get your hands on a copy of Panzer Division Marduk.

18. AshenBassist

AshenBassist Guest

Feb 18, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    Tony Choy with the amazing band Atheist. if you haven't heard these guys check them out NOW!!!!! their first bassist, Roger Patterson.

guy from Mudvayne
    guy from cannibal corpse

Stefan Fimmers of Necrophagist. These guys are also extremely good!!!!!

Steve DiGiorgio of Death and Testament. (also played for iced Earth on the Horror Show album)
    I'd say that Maiden is pretty metal, so add Steve Harris to the list. Black Sabbath is pretty metal too, so add Geezer Butler to that list too! (can't believe i'm the first to mention these guys!)

a bunch of others have already been said.

*Edit*
    In an interview, Tom Araya was asked why he moved to playing with plactrum, he said that while recording South of Heavon (i think) that he was told to try it. He did try it and liked it, more clear and stronger attack he said.

19. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Angra is power/melodic.

From the 1st formation i recommend Fireworks

From the 2nd formation i recommend Temple of Shadows.