Charles Barr --in memory

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by JeremyKurtz, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Charles Barr, a bassist with the Cleveland Orchestra--and a friend and colleague for many of us--was killed in a tragic bicycle accident yesterday.

Charles was an amazing person, and seemed to be reaching the peak of his game after many years of hard work and dedication. He was 31. This is very difficult news for all of us who knew him.

I'd appreciate hearing any stories or memories anyone wants to post. The Cleveland orchestra will be playing a piece in his memory at tomorrow (Sunday's) concert. If anyone hears about plans for a memorial service, please post that as well.

--Jeremy

http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1155371788275120.xml?easta&coll=2

2. I just read this from the Plain Dealer. Such a tragedy.

3. Jake

Jake Guest

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I met Charles when he was playing and teaching at the Eastern Music Festival. He was very inspiring to be around. I feel fortunate that I got to meet him. He loved the music. I looked up to him a lot.

4. To all:
    I would just like to inform everyone that Charles Barr passed away this past friday....he was a teacher of mine and it is a great loss to the bass world.

Charles Barr went to work Friday morning at Severance Hall and played his bass for what turned out to be the last time at a Cleveland Orchestra rehearsal.

Then, said Thomas Sperl, who shared a music stand with him, Barr went home to Cleveland Heights and took an afternoon bicycle ride around his Cedar Hill neighborhood.

Barr lost control of the bike about 2 p.m., Cleveland Heights Police chief Martin Lentz said, and a pickup truck struck and killed him after he veered in front of it. He was 31.

The driver, Sherill Harris, 31, of Cleveland Heights, could not stop in time to avoid hitting Barr, Lentz said.

Medics pronounced Barr dead at the scene of the accident, in the 2300 block of Grandview Avenue, according to Cleveland Heights Fire Capt. Robert Reinholz, less than a half-mile from his home on Lennox Road.

Barr, who had a helmet on, died of "an obvious head injury," Reinholz said.

Barr was a graduate of the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia. Before joining the Cleveland Orchestra in September 2002, he played with the New World Symphony in Miami, Fla., and was principal bass of the Charleston (S.C.) Symphony Orchestra.

You will be missed Charles.

5. jasonheath

jasonheath Bass Blogger / Contrabass Conversations host

Aug 11, 2006
    Chicago IL
    I just heard the news about Charles. I knew him from subbing in New World and from Charleston. What a tragedy. He was a really great guy. It's scary how something like that can happen.

6. BPbass

BPbass

Oct 11, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    FYI - There will be a memorial service for Charles Barr this Wed. August 16 at 1:00 pm at Severence Hall in Cleveland. All are welcome to attend according to Max Dimoff. I'm still waiting for word on a funeral if anyone has this information.

7. (info via Scott Haigh of the Cleveland Orchestra)--to add on to what BPbass posted--

A memorial service in celebration of the life of Cleveland Orchestra bassist Charles Barr, who was killed in a tragic accident on August 11, will be held in the Concert Hall at Severance Hall on Wednesday, August 16, 2006, at 1:00 p.m. The public is invited to attend. The service will be led by the Reverend Thomas Fox, pastor of Messiah Lutheran Church in Lyndhurst, and will include musical reflections by Members of The Cleveland Orchestra.

Condolences can be sent to the family at the following address:

The Barr Family

7038 Hunter’s Ridge Drive

Dallas, TX 45248

In lieu of flowers, the Barr family has requested memorial gifts to Texas Winds Musical Outreach, Inc. or to The Cleveland Orchestra to establish the Charles Barr Chair (see details below).

Texas Winds Musical Outreach, Inc.

Head Start Program

7038 Hunter’s Ridge Drive

Dallas, TX 45248

Charles Barr Endowed Chair

The Cleveland Orchestra

11001 Euclid Avenue

Cleveland, OH 44106

8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I met Charles while playing in the Charleston Symphony. I had just finished my Masters and he had recently won the position there. He was a good player and a good guy.

He will be missed. I always felt welcome in his section.

RIP Charles

Brian

9. It was about 4 summers ago and I was at Eastern Music Festival and Charles had just gotten out of rehearsal and there was this crazy bassoon player that always had a Razor scooter so Charles thought it would be funny to wheel his bass while on the scooter...he hit a hill and got going pretty fast and had a fall but he saved his bass and walked away with only minor scratches....Charles was a great guy:cool:

10. seymourbass

seymourbass Guest

Aug 19, 2006
    I have known Charles since I was very young....he was the coolest, best bass player in Dallas when I was a kid....he made me want to play the bass well....Charles did everything to the fullest...he was the damn man and he will be missed...

Peter Seymour

11. Alex H.

Alex H. Guest

Feb 13, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I always loved hearing Charles play and talking with him while I was in school in Cleveland. I always looked up to him. What a nice guy. Just another reminder to cherish the time we have...
    He will be missed.