MXR Blowtorch = ZVEX Woolly Mammoth...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kaputsport, Jan 21, 2008.

1. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    So I figured it out. I have a blowtorch, and I loved the tone. However this weekend, at a gigi, my blowtorch with new batteries sounded like a horribly modified big muff. I was pissed!!!

Well, I got a solution... The MXR Blowtorch runs off of 2 9volt batteries...

18 volts huh??? What happens when you drop the voltage???

Well 12 volts is the mark. With the volume down, you get plenty of output, and the pedal starts to break apart. When the volume is turned up, it turns into a muff clone, but has more low end...

Just get yourself a negative pin 12v DC adapter, and go for it...

Who needs a $350 woolly mammoth????

2. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    can the unit get ruined by lower voltage?

3. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'm doubting that. It would be like saying you could ruin the unit with dying batteries, which doesnt make sense.

I dont think you'll fry anything by underpowering it. There's actually a mod for "battery sag" for pedals out there.

Here's a link:

http://www.deviever.com/fx/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=637

4. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Actually I've heard from numerous sources that under-powering the Blowtorch kills it. Most people I've heard this from were trying to use a 9v Adapter.. so maybe 12v is different, but I wouldn't chance it with mine..

5. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    You will not kill it with lower voltage. When my batteries were almost dead, it sounded like a Zvex Fuzz Factory... Insane amounts of breakup. It was really cool...

The 12v power supply makes it sound better than it does stock. If you don't want to try it, don't. Try this though...

Put 2 9volts in it, that equal 12 volts output...

It is exactly the same thing as the power supply. The lowest I can get anything out of it is 9 volts, but I like the 12 volt version.

If it dies, it dies... But until then, it is the best sounding fuzz I have found under $200!!!

6. pompompom

pompompom Guest

Dec 31, 2003
    I run my blowtorch on 9v, no complaints at all!

7. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Nice... I might try it...

8. jaebee

jaebee Guest

Mar 16, 2007
    quick question, would runnning 2 battery adapters from a 1 spot work to power this at 18v? also i didnt understand the 2 9volts = 12v output, care to explain?

pompom, running it at 9v, does it change the pedal? i have also heard that running it at 9 v will burn it out. anyone else run it at 9v?

9. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I'm sure it was a brain fart...

running circuits at lower voltages will never fry it or break it or anything long term anyways. with lower voltages you will get different sounds, and it might sound like it is dying, but if you hop the voltage back up, it will sound normal again.. you really have to worry when OVERpowering circuits, but underpowering is nooooo big deal! (unless you underpower so much that you have negative voltage, but that wont happen in this case!)

10. Stuggi

Stuggi Guest

May 7, 2006
    Pietarsaari, Finland
    Variable powersupply anyone? I really need to draft a small pedal which takes a 9VDC in and outputs 12VDC, 18VDC and 24VDC. That coupled with an optional variable resistor would cover all need for weird power... :D

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Heh, go a step further and have it digitally controlled -- preset power!

12. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    i dont know if there is a way to convert 9VDC upward to any of those voltages... it would be rather easy to convert 24VDC down to any of those though...

this is as long as I know as much as I think I know about this subject :D

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    Mine WAS ruined by powering it with a 9V adapter. Smelled of burning. Toasted insides, LED stuck on, horrible sound, the works...

The dying battery thing does work (though I would be weary of running it below 12VDC), but don't try running it with a 9V adapter... I fried one Blowtorch like that. And yes, others have done it as well.

WHY it does that is a mystery to me... I've never encountered a pedal like that. I wish I knew why, because it doesn't make any sense. For the record, the power supply I used still works fine and powers anything else with no issues, so I'm certain it was that pedal. :meh:

14. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    Three words: Godlyke Power Pump. It does this exactly (12V, 18V, 24V), and it does work with the Blowtorch (I've used it before).

15. Justin Tuskey

Justin Tuskey Guest

Mar 24, 2007
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Thats so strange, because the few months that I had mine and used it, I used a 9 volt power from my voodoo power. Im not doubting your case Boo, but that seems so strange. Maybe that power supply just had it out for your blowtorch or something :smug:

16. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    hmmm, I want to know how that pump works...

I also want to know how 9VDC fried your blowtorch... it just doesn't make sense...

looks like the pump decreases current as it increases voltage, its probably very simple how it works... too bad I don't know how! hmmm

17. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    If the adapter you were using was not rated properly for the mA rating, you would fry it with lower voltage...

As for the two 9 volt equalling 12 volts...

I had two USED 9 volts, and the voltage measured on them was 6 each... 6+6=12. With two brand new ones, 9+9=18, and a totally different sound.

Sorry for the confusion. I am running it with a 12 volt, 1700 mA power brick from a security camera...

Works like a champ.

Please only do this AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!

I will not be responsable for your fried pedals. Do not come crying to me because your one and only fuzz pedal is broken... Noit my problem. You have been warned.

I think I am going to install a voltage cut off pot in my benavente with the russian green muff in it... Could be fun.

18. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    It does decrease the current. It's a switchable step-up transformer.

They recommend using it only with their Godlyke Powerall, but it'll work with any adaptor.

The preference, of course, is that it's a high-current supply, so you still can have plenty of current available for your 9VDC effects on the daisy chain.

300mA. The Blowtorch doesn't even draw a quarter of that at 18VDC.

I'm tempted to say it was just a fluke, or something wrong with just that one pedal (perhaps most Blowtorch pedals are fine), but it's still the weirdest thing that ever happened to one of my pedals. :meh:

19. Stuggi

Stuggi Guest

May 7, 2006
    Pietarsaari, Finland
    It's probably done using a step-up regulator, not that hard to accomplish, but it still take some engineering. The only problem is that solution like that cost a lot when they need to shift a lot of power, and they're a pain in the *** to engineer since they usually need an inductor, which all good electric engineering majors knows not to use if it isn't absolutely vital.

20. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    From the research I've been doing it looks like they are called charge pumps, which is where they got the name for it, lol. I've been trying to figure out how to make them using the internet. :ninja: